The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 01:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: DSA Game Two Discussion Thread
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2012 02:19 
Corporal
Corporal

Guys,

Going to be out scrub for a week so I'll be unable to play for a while unless they decide to give me internet access... which I doubt. See you all next sunday

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 12:29 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Ok guys, what gives? We have four players and one GM, yet there is less input than when it was just me and two players.

Do not take this the wrong way, but I am trying to make a good game, and if I recieve no input from any of the players or GM I cannot adjust what needs to be adjusted.

Now, we can do one of two things, either you all can increase your input, or I can make it mandatory for you all to write up a mini report after each turn or make a rule that no PP's are rewarded UNLESS a newspost has been made to announce the mission to the world. The choice is up to you all.

As much as I want you all to enjoy the game you have to realize this is a playTEST. With emphasis on the test portion. Without input nothing will be improved.

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 17:23 
Corporal
Corporal

My Internet provider's been a tad annoying. One of their towers got hit by lightning or something, and was on and off for the past week while they were fixing it. I've only been able to connect for more than 5 seconds a few days ago, but RL has been quite busy for me. Turns havn't been as constant and it is only the first year - I don't seem to be doing much noteworthy asides from research & development/ scheduling launches, but i'll write up a quick fluff post in the events thread.

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 17:30 

mavikfelna wrote:
Sorry. Real life has been hectic and I've let things slide here. Gav and Gavin have their Jun turns in and results sent. Still waiting for Germany and Canada.

And please, post some comments!

On the GM side, the game goes quickly at this stage for turn processing. Once we start getting more complex missions and then again when we get astronauts things will get alot busier for me turn processing wise. But right now, if you haven't had a turn sheet returned within 24 hours, please contact me as I likely either missed it or the email got lost.

And please feel free to ask me questions or make comments both here and in email.

Thanks,
--Mav

Mav, I know RL can get in the way of things. Oh boy do I know! It's just I want to make a great game for folks to play and enjoy, while gaining a small insight into the real space race. I cannot do that without input. Heck, Axner has not been to WoTG since 25 Feb.

I am pretty sure the game is not perfect so I am a bit troubled by the lack of input by the players. No suggestions, criticisms, or just down right questions on things.

This question is for the players: Why no input? Is the game too boring? Or what specifically is preventing you from posting even fluff newsposts, which are nothing more than whimsy to improve all players enjoyment of the game? They do not have to be monumental you know. :w :bs

This question is for Mav. As a GM do you have any suggestions, criticisms, or things you would like to see added or taken away from the GM's POV?

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 17:38 

MrAnderson wrote:
My Internet provider's been a tad annoying. One of their towers got hit by lightning or something, and was on and off for the past week while they were fixing it. I've only been able to connect for more than 5 seconds a few days ago, but RL has been quite busy for me. Turns havn't been as constant and it is only the first year - I don't seem to be doing much noteworthy asides from research & development/ scheduling launches, but i'll write up a quick fluff post in the events thread.

MrAnderson, I would appreciate that. :AH if you recall from the last game Mav and I began posting fluff from the beginning, and I think it made the game more enjoyable, even if it was nothing but fluff.

I believe games like this live or die by player interaction. No matter how good the game, or how fun, I think it is the social, AKA human interaction, of the players that give the game it's life. You and Gav did a great job throwing jabs at each other to begin with! That was great, and it is stuff like that that makes online games much more enjoyable.

So, if as the Chinese, you wish to diss the russkies, Japanese, or anybody, by all means, go for it! The reason I made the Senate post in the last game was just for fun, to give the US some jabs of my own and help keep the interest flowing. :bs

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 17:46 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Actually, if I may...

It's just that not much is happening right now. We're all at the very start, just getting up to speed, so to speak. Some of us can barely launch rockets, and nothing newsworthy has happened...unless someone's got a satellite in orbit that they aren't talking about...and if I'd gotten 12 prestige points for being the first to launch a satellite into orbit, I'd be crowing it from the rooftops.

It's just gonna take us awhile. And, frankly, the only thing I could share at this point is my strategy...and I could tell you, I'd just have to kill you.

Frankly, I could repost my Hammaguir sounding rocket launch story, but it'd just be a copy and paste. At this point, that's all I got.

Anyway, that's just me. If folks want to start throwing propaganda around, that's their business, but France has nothing to say until the day we see some solid results. :bs

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 17:57 

Tssha wrote:
Actually, if I may...

It's just that not much is happening right now. We're all at the very start, just getting up to speed, so to speak. Some of us can barely launch rockets, and nothing newsworthy has happened...unless someone's got a satellite in orbit that they aren't talking about...and if I'd gotten 12 prestige points for being the first to launch a satellite into orbit, I'd be crowing it from the rooftops.

It's just gonna take us awhile. And, frankly, the only thing I could share at this point is my strategy...and I could tell you, I'd just have to kill you.

Frankly, I could repost my Hammaguir sounding rocket launch story, but it'd just be a copy and paste. At this point, that's all I got.

Anyway, that's just me. If folks want to start throwing propaganda around, that's their business, but France has nothing to say until the day we see some solid results. :bs

Tssha, I realize it is early in the game, it's just like a tomb in here. Most games I tested for there was constant questions, suggestions, criticisms, and banter going on, even at the very beginning of the test. So thats why I asked the question I did of the players.

In my experience one of three things causes a lack of communication in a game or test:

1) Boredom
2) Rules too obtuse
3) Game is too easy and thus leads to cause one

I dislike sounding harsh, but I think this will be a great way to introduce folks to the BTS! 'verse and so I am keen to make it the best I can. Unlike a lot of publishers and game designers today, I really care about what the gamers think, and what they percieve a GPI game as.

So I will do what is needed to get the best product out to the gamers that I can. If that means being a 'cheerleader', then so be it. If it means poking the players with a word stick, can do! :bs

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 18:13 

MrAnderson, good fluff post! :tu

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 13 Mar 2012 20:58 

mavikfelna wrote:
At this point, BTS! DSA is really a beginner's game and everyone here is beyond being a beginning gamer. That's not a criticism, BTW, I think it means DSA is doing exactly what it should be. I think everyone has a good idea about the rules and the direction of the game and until we get into '59 and the '60's there just isn't alot going on. You could leap forward to '59 with astronauts just coming out of basic training but you loose the real urgency of the very beginning which is what sells this game I think.

I do think there needs to be more baiting, bragging and misdirecting going on, but that's a player dynamic. As this is play test, we will need to talk about the strategies and tactics but I think it's a bit early ATM.

Any other thoughts?
--Mav

Mav, I wholeheartedly agree with you about the quality of the players. Agreed with the reason to not jump ahead. And yeah, the player dynamic is critical. I think we just have a bunch of polite players. :bs They need to start acting like real world politicians. :gl

Maybe I can prime the pump. so to speak, by posting RL events for the year and month. Hopefully this will get the players to begin greater interaction. :bs

Maybe the GM should post some fluff about the Japanese? :w

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012 09:55 

Ok guys, Here is an idea I cam up with following our small conversation of yesterday. I will need the input of the group.

To help speed up the game, and be just a bit more historical, I am thinking of making the following change to Astronaut Recruitment.

Quote:
Rule:
6 months after a Space Agency has successfully flown the Animal Sub-Orbital and Animal Orbital missions a Director may begin the recruitment of his first Astronaut class. While recieving a new class every two years there after.

I figure with this change it will put more uncertainty into when 'nauts will begin to appear, put a bit more excitement and urgency into getting those early missions done a lot faster, and will now tie recruitment into each Agency's success.

Commentary by ALL players is required. So, if someone would tell Axner and Zerkuron they need to comment it would help.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012 11:16 

mavikfelna wrote:
::chuckle:: I like this rule. it will definitely push players much faster. I do think we need to limit the maximum number of teams on a project with this rule though. There is nothing currently stopping a player from putting 50 teams onto a low cost project for a month to pretty much guarantee they max it out and then drop them all the next month.

I would propose that there is a limit of 10 teams on any one project. This is simple, not horribly limiting but still leaves room for some luck and variation. The other option would be put a cost to creating and maintaining research teams but like has been said before, I think that's something for the next game in the series, not this one.

--Mav

Mav, I agree on the team limiting. It is really ahistorical for a Director to be able to 'rush', using the RTS term, his research. So, new rule now up for discussion:

Quote:
Rule:
A Director may have no more than 10 teams assigned to any one R&D Project. If the number of teams assigned to an R&D Project is less than 10, no more than 2 per month may be assigned, up to the total allowed per project.

A Director may remove any number of teams from a project, but must keep in mind that the assignment of teams back to the project is still under the number limitation for a turn.

When a new R&D Project is opened, no more than 4 teams may be initially assigned. Once established further teams may be allocated, up to the permitted amount.

Commentary is required. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012 12:39 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

that works. so it starts at 4 then 6 then 8 then 10? At that rate the tech should be done around month 4 or 5 at the worst.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2012 12:46 

haegan2007 wrote:
that works. so it starts at 4 then 6 then 8 then 10? At that rate the tech should be done around month 4 or 5 at the worst.

That is correct. It prevents the ahistorical rushing of a project in one month. But still leaves plenty of room to add a lot of teams.

Heck, Historically, in the beginning both NASA and Roscosmos had exactly one team assigned, and no more than 5 ever worked on any project, for either side during the race to the moon.

In point of fact, the Sovs were pretty dependant on Korolev's design bureau by itself. Thats why once Korolev died their program took one hell of a nosedive in quality and success.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012 00:13 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

The funny thing is that if Korolev had lived, the US and Russia would have continued the space race. The world we see today would be seriously different!

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012 09:54 

haegan2007 wrote:
The funny thing is that if Korolev had lived, the US and Russia would have continued the space race. The world we see today would be seriously different!

More than likely so. Korolev WAS THE heart and soul of the Soviet program. Just like Von Braun for the US, he was not interested in politics, he just wanted man to get out into space.

Also, I am pretty sure if he had not died the Soviet N-1 Rocket would not have blown up three times either, and that would have meant the Sovs would have had a real chance to reach the Moon before the US.

@Mav, since the players will not comment on the rules proposals, I am going to go ahead and incorporate them into the game rules as is since you and I like them. I will then get you a new version of the game rules ASAP.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012 12:46 

mavikfelna wrote:
Sounds like a plan!

Mav, updated rules have been sent!

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012 19:45 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Hey guys. Sorry I havent gotten around to A: Submitting my turn and B: commenting. :AE Things have just been hectic lately. My father just moved and my mother wants to move halfway across the country. So I have been sorting things out. PLUS my homework load.. :td I should be around for awhile now though! :tu

Next time I'll warn before disappearing. xD

PostPosted: 15 Mar 2012 20:07 

Axner wrote:
Hey guys. Sorry I havent gotten around to A: Submitting my turn and B: commenting. :AE Things have just been hectic lately. My father just moved and my mother wants to move halfway across the country. So I have been sorting things out. PLUS my homework load.. :td I should be around for awhile now though! :tu

Next time I'll warn before disappearing. xD

Axner, No probs my friend. We all know the travails of real life interfering with our gaming! :bs But a heads up would be nice. :w

I also need your opinion on the new rules I proposed. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2012 11:03 

Mav, did you get the updated rules I sent by email?

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next