The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 11:04

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: DSA Game Two Discussion Thread
PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012 12:34 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

After watching Gav's Catastrophic Failure cause a chain reaction of failures I have decided to add a new rule.

Emergency Protocols:

As happened so often in life, space flight is frought with the dangers of possible catastrophic failures in the myriad number of parts involved in any launch. To reflect history, and common sense, the following will help the player deal with any possible catastrophic failure a bit easier.

When a player has a CF, any future mission requiring the part that failed can be autoscrubbed by invoking the Emergency Protocols. When a player has a CF he will be given, the following turn only, the chance to invoke the Emergency Protocols. When invoked the GM will autoscrub any future missions requiring the part that had the CF, including any missions occurring the same month as the CF.

If the Catastrophic failure involves a MLB failure on launch where the Pad is destroyed, invoking the Emergency Protocols will autoscrub ANY mission scheduled to use that pad, as well as any mission using the failed part.

Now, invoking the Emergency Protocols will involve a LOT of pain in lost PP's, but chances are the player will have lost the PP's, and the hardware, involved in the subsequent launches anyway. Also, invoking the Protocols is entirely voluntary, and up to the player's descretion as to whether, or not, they are used.

All testers are required to reply to this post. :AH

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 02 Aug 2012 14:53 

mavikfelna wrote:
I like it! I could have used it if it also included auto-scrubs for catastrophic math failures. :)

--Mav

Lol, sorry Mav, those still fall squarely on the Director's shoulders! :w :bs

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 01:14 
Corporal
Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
After watching Gav's Catastrophic Failure cause a chain reaction of failures I have decided to add a new rule.

Emergency Protocols:

As happened so often in life, space flight is frought with the dangers of possible catastrophic failures in the myriad number of parts involved in any launch. To reflect history, and common sense, the following will help the player deal with any possible catastrophic failure a bit easier.

When a player has a CF, any future mission requiring the part that failed can be autoscrubbed by invoking the Emergency Protocols. When a player has a CF he will be given, the following turn only, the chance to invoke the Emergency Protocols. When invoked the GM will autoscrub any future missions requiring the part that had the CF, including any missions occurring the same month as the CF.

If the Catastrophic failure involves a MLB failure on launch where the Pad is destroyed invoking the Emergency Protocols will autoscrub ANY mission scheduled to use that pad, as well as any mission using the failed part.

Now, invoking the Emergency Protocols will involve a LOT of pain in lost PP's, but chances are the player will have lost the PP's and the hardware involved in the subsequent launches. Also, invoking the Protocols is entirely voluntary, and up the player's descretion as to whether, or not, they are used.

All testers are required to reply to this post. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Could have helped greatly !
Lets try it and see how it goes ...

PostPosted: 03 Aug 2012 12:43 

Gav wrote:
Could have helped greatly !
Lets try it and see how it goes ...

This is why playtesting a design is SO important. I never even thought about chain reaction failures due to a part failing. Your CF with the Comm Package was just the catalyst that could cause such a disaster. Now, hopefully, we will have that hidden bug squashed! :ac

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012 12:15 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

so noted.

a way to note certain standing orders is going to be needed in the program.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012 13:01 
Corporal
Corporal

Well, I am almost home (Just a 4 hour wait and then 1 hour), and that'll make me be up for 23 hours without sleep!

Anyways, I like the fixes that are happening; when I had the critical failure of my LEO rocket I would have been dead had my next launch been sooner. I'll be able to talk more once I'm back.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012 14:31 

MrAnderson wrote:
Well, I am almost home (Just a 4 hour wait and then 1 hour), and that'll make me be up for 23 hours without sleep!

Anyways, I like the fixes that are happening; when I had the critical failure of my LEO rocket I would have been dead had my next launch been sooner. I'll be able to talk more once I'm back.

Make sure you get some rest once you finish your trip!

Yeah, CF's are a bitch, but they happened in real life, so have to happen in the game. The new rule will also reflect the Emergency Protocols NASA actually uses. :AH

I look forward to your input!

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2012 14:32 

haegan2007 wrote:
so noted.

a way to note certain standing orders is going to be needed in the program.

Haegan, agreed.

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2012 11:45 

Processed Mav's April, and Gav's November 1960 Turns, and sent out their next turn. Also sent out the updated rules to the current playtesters. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012 13:09 

Processed Gav's December, and Mav's May 1960 turns. Their next turns have been sent out.

Gav's Year End Report is due.

Ok guys, in the last turn I gave Gav a Mulligan on his first Launch of the month. The reason I did this is because without it he would have had a CF on launch. Maybe I am not as sadistic as a 'good' GM should be, but I could not see the point in inflicting such a bad CF on him just as he was recovering from the previous CF.

And before anybody asks, yes, this is my first Mulligan since we began testing. I guess Gav just has some really bad luck following his agency! :as :bs

I am telling you all about this for discussion. So, please, comment on it. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2012 19:07 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

this may take some thought. Percentage wise, only systems that rely on skills can ever reach 100%. all others will always have a 2% failure rate, no matter what.

some of the missions will end up with a series of rolls and multiple chances to hit that 2%. It would be interesting to see if the mission failure rate ends up being higher then 2% because of that.

*Edit*
many of the CF can be mitigated by astronaut skill rolls.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012 14:13 

haegan2007 wrote:
this may take some thought. Percentage wise, only systems that rely on skills can ever reach 100%. all others will always have a 2% failure rate, no matter what.

some of the missions will end up with a series of rolls and multiple chances to hit that 2%. It would be interesting to see if the mission failure rate ends up being higher then 2% because of that.

*Edit*
many of the CF can be mitigated by astronaut skill rolls.

Haegan, yep, many of the killer CF's in manned missions can, possibly, be mitigated by 'Naut skills. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2012 14:14 

Processed Mav's June 1960 turn, and sent out his next turn.

Still waiting on Gav's Year End Report before I process his Jan 1961 turn. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012 03:12 
Corporal
Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
Processed Gav's December, and Mav's May 1960 turns. Their next turns have been sent out.

Gav's Year End Report is due.

Ok guys, in the last turn I gave Gav a Mulligan on his first Launch of the month. The reason I did this is because without it he would have had a CF on launch. Maybe I am not as sadistic as a 'good' GM should be, but I could not see the point in inflicting such a bad CF on him just as he was recovering from the previous CF.

And before anybody asks, yes, this is my first Mulligan since we began testing. I guess Gav just has some really bad luck following his agency! :as :bs

I am telling you all about this for discussion. So, please, comment on it. :AH

Cheers, Thor

I would have continued either way but glad for the break you gave me!~

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012 10:39 

Gav wrote:
I would have continued either way but glad for the break you gave me!~

I know you would have bud, but such a bad CF following right on the heels of the first one would have sucked all of the fun out of it. I like for my testers to enjoy what they are doing. :AH

In the spirit of fair play, Mav has one Launch CF Mulligan available to him.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012 11:07 

mavikfelna wrote:
Hopefully I don't have to use it any time soon. Save it for the astronauts. :)

I have no problems with the occasional mulligan, especially in a situation like this where one crit fail gets compounded.

--Mav

Lol, agreed.

Also agreed. Normally I let the dice fall where they may, but in certain situations i feel 'divine' intervention is required. Playtesting is an unpaid, and at times, a thankless job, done for various reasons. If it has no enjoyment factor associated with it, then, I feel, that most testers will give up and wander away.

As has been seen by all of the testers who wandered away with nary a word as to why. Very disappointing that. :ad

It does not bother me they left, what bothers me is that they never gave a reason why. :vm

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012 15:10 

Processed Gav's Jan 1961 turn and sent out his Feb 61 turn.
Processed Mav's July 1960 turn and sent out his August 60 turn. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2012 19:50 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

something that may be of interest guys.
[url]
viewtopic.php?f=133&t=899&p=10889#p10889[/url]

We have a LONG ways to go, but it is starting to look doable!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012 20:10 
Corporal
Corporal

Like I said, I'll be sitting the rest of this test out. I'm still lurking, just not posting as much. The program looks good, I think it'll really help by removing the rather annoying number crunching etc that the GM has to do, so people can just get together and play.

I'll be a bit more active posting from now on.

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2012 20:26 

MrAnderson wrote:
Like I said, I'll be sitting the rest of this test out. I'm still lurking, just not posting as much. The program looks good, I think it'll really help by removing the rather annoying number crunching etc that the GM has to do, so people can just get together and play.

I'll be a bit more active posting from now on.

Yes, I knew that my friend. The mention of the wander aways was speaking of testers like Axner and Tssha. :AH

Your input is always welcome.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2012 12:02 

I figured I would post the notice here, since no other forum is active. :AH

WotG's very own Benno the Mad has been working on a set of skirmish level miniature rules set in the Gunnyverse. The other day he PMed me and requested a forum and group to be created so he could get help developing the rules.

His request was heartily granted and has been created. The name of the forum, which is hidden, is called: The World of the Gunny: The Tabletop RPG. The group that has access to this forum is called The New South Wales Roughriders.

So if any of you folks wish to lend a hand in crafting this set of mini's rules set in our beloved Gunnyverse, PM Benno with a request to join the NSW Roughriders. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012 04:57 
Private

Hi, posted here since is the current playtesting thread.

For those who don't know me, hi, i came here from Aurora forums, i played 4x games for 3 years, i have some knowledge of VBA and C++ codes, and
long time ago i was in the top 100 players on Cyberscore (Maybe someone knows the site). In case you want to give me programming, i like gameplay and IA.

I'd like to apply for playtesting, tell me how to begin.

Thanks.

PostPosted: 23 Aug 2012 10:19 

TheDOC wrote:
Hi, posted here since is the current playtesting thread.

For those who don't know me, hi, i came here from Aurora forums, i played 4x games for 3 years, i have some knowledge of VBA and C++ codes, and
long time ago i was in the top 100 players on Cyberscore (Maybe someone knows the site). In case you want to give me programming, i like gameplay and IA.

I'd like to apply for playtesting, tell me how to begin.

Thanks.

TheDOC, welcome to The World of the Gunny! As I mentioned in our exchange of PM's you are most welcome to join the playtesting. :AH

The first step is to read the rules from beginning to end, then pick a nation you wish to play. Then once I finish getting the Gunny Book two ready for publication we will begin again.

But, you will be starting the game with the average technologies and hardware of the other players. They both have begun recruiting their 'Nauts, so you will be thrown right into the middle of the race to launch the first man into space. :bs

I hope you are a quick learner, but if you have any questions at all, ask them here and you will receive an answer to them. :AH I look forward to your participation.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 350 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next