The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 10:28

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STALKER
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007 01:04 
Corporal
Corporal

Haven't picked this one up yet. I want to, but I'm broke until my next paycheck. I've heard mixed bag on this. The most I can confirm is that it is buggy though they are trying to work those out (how it can be buggy after being in development for so long is beyond all these people) Anyone here have any opinions of it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007 10:50 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

From what they are reporting on NMA the game has cut out a lot of what made it interesting in the first place, free roaming and the ability to drive vehicles and the like. I am going to hold off getting it myself till I see the game in its finished version and released.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007 15:42 
Corporal
Corporal

Dunno about vehicles. They state the biggest problem with it is that it was a bit ambitious for its time. Which is sad because the idea was excellent. Supposedly you are allowed a lot of freedom. But I guess a lot of the side quests have minor bugs. That erases them or can't get you to complete them....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007 16:36 

wolfblade wrote:
Dunno about vehicles. They state the biggest problem with it is that it was a bit ambitious for its time. Which is sad because the idea was excellent. Supposedly you are allowed a lot of freedom. But I guess a lot of the side quests have minor bugs. That erases them or can't get you to complete them....

Originally IIRC the side quests you did and did not do affected everything else in the game. That has been removed along with your ability to choose when and where you did those quests. It is quite a bit more linear now, unfortunately. :vm

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject: STALKER mods
PostPosted: 05 May 2007 12:17 
Private

Wass up fellas, long time no see for some. There has been an amazing amount of modification improvements in this game, if all are interested in finding out what has and is going on, drop in every now and then on these forums.

http://stalker.filefront.com/

http://forums.filefront.com/s-t-l-k-e-r-952/

http://www.gsc-game.com/index.php?t=com ... xr&lang=en

Now I'm not trying to advertise here, just these are the best sites I have found so far with STALKER mod updates.
Currently at the GSC forum there is a WIP for a fallout mod; thought I would share this with you all as with NMA.

Take care guys.

-Ace :ac

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 May 2007 17:32 
Corporal
Corporal

Picked it up but I think I'm hurting on RAM even with the settings tuned to super low going outside I drop major frames.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007 04:32 
Corporal
Corporal

I've got a lot of hardware pieces I'm going to be upgrading my PC with. I can't wait to get back and see if I can play STALKER for once....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007 08:21 

wolfblade wrote:
I've got a lot of hardware pieces I'm going to be upgrading my PC with. I can't wait to get back and see if I can play STALKER for once....

BOS13 has played Stalker, so maybe he can let you know how it is. Myself I gave up on wanting to play it. Too linear for my tastes now.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007 13:41 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

I've got it and I love it, but I need SERIOUS upgrades to my machine before I can really play in earnest. Even though I'm like 3/5ths through the campaign.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007 13:52 

BOS13 wrote:
I've got it and I love it, but I need SERIOUS upgrades to my machine before I can really play in earnest. Even though I'm like 3/5ths through the campaign.

Well, give the gent some details then. :w

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007 15:35 
Corporal
Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
wolfblade wrote:

BOS13 has played Stalker, so maybe he can let you know how it is. Myself I gave up on wanting to play it. Too linear for my tastes now.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Yeah I new they toned it to a linear game. A bit ahead of its time I guess. But they can give it a shot. There are tons of mods though I hear that are improving the graphics and gameplay.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007 13:48 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

It's not as linear as it could have been, but not even close to a good sandbox. You can do any number of random side missions, but they don't do anything. They're mostly just for cash. There are only two factions, and you have to jump through all kinds of hoops to join one.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.