The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 00:51

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bug Reporting
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005 14:26 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

This thread is for reporting any and all irritants you have found.

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2005 15:53 
Private

An icon error crashes my game when I go to read the civlopedia file about the PA SMG. Not sure if it is due to the placeholder unit or a misplaced file.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2005 20:59 

Prof, can you get the error message for me?

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 02:21 
Corporal
Corporal

Found this thread ... so I think it may be a good place to post the Game Crash report.

Details
Playing ... Encave
Setting ... Grid is On
Diplomacy ... Have met and traded with Reno Mobs
Observation ... the game crashes to desktop during the AI stage.

Notes
In case it was something related to my move, I tested the game by repeating my moves and then again with no actions.
... :fr It happened both times, although not moving altered the game action and therefore the crash occured in a different place.

I do not know how to post the save ... therefore I have sent it directly to Thor.

I will continue to archive these saves when they occur ... :sad

Question ... BOS are you a member of CFC?
Is there a way we can correspond other than through this thread?
Thor has my e-mail so if you want get it from him :AH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 03:37 
Corporal
Corporal

Left Button Drag Movement Bug

1. As mentioned previously the canine does not show the correct turns it will take to reach a location.

2. Also the Tanker (naval unit) suggests that it can move on land when you left button press and drag the mouse to move.

:AC Curiously in the current game the dog's movement shows correct turn number ... and so has the Tanker movement options ???

Query ... Has anyone else experienced this querk ??

Last edited by fe3333au on 03 Apr 2006 04:58, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 04:56 
Corporal
Corporal

Settler Build issue

I have been sitting at 1 turn to complete the build of a settler for a couple of turns now

City ... The Platform
Build Progess ... shown as filled for some time.
Population ... 4, increasing in 2 turns.
Production Rate ... 8 shields per turn.

Next Turn ... still no settler and population due to increase next turn.

Result
Population in back to 1.

Conclusion ... a settler requires 3 citizens ??!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 07:15 
Corporal
Corporal

Foreign Advisor Screen Glitch

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 13:02 

Fe, that crash is the damned bug that has me stumped. It only affects the Enclave and the BOS. None of the other civs gets hit with it. And I have no idea why as the crashes occur randomly. And if you start another game as either of those two, the crash will occur on another turn. :AM

Now you know why I have not even thought of a public beta test. I will NOT release something with a game stopping bug still in place. :AM

The dog move is related to my unpatched version of civ.

As for the settlers, you betcha! In a radiated world where humans are in short supply it takes a LOT of them to found a new village in the wastelands. the populations in the city window are incorrect, and I am still trying to find out how I change those numbers. :bs Mainly to slow the expansion of the civs, and to give the Vault Dwellers and their having the G.E.C.K. a slight advantage, as they only require 2 pop for their settlers.

I don't see a problem with the Foreign Advisor screen, can you be specific please?

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 13:47 
Corporal
Corporal

Thorgrimm wrote:
Fe, that crash is the damned bug that has me stumped. It only affects the Enclave and the BOS. None of the other civs gets hit with it. And I have no idea why as the crashes occur randomly. And if you start another game as either of those two, the crash will occur on another turn. :AM

Now you know why I have not even thought of a public beta test. I will NOT release something with a game stopping bug still in place. :AM

Yes it is curious but I recall playing a scenario where it happened ... thought it was an early WH ... but it may be Colonize!

Leave it with me ... and I'll dig it up and ask if it has been fixed.

Question ... have you asked for help in the threads?

Thorgrimm wrote:
I don't see a problem with the Foreign Advisor screen, can you be specific please?

The anal me sees a lonely square amid a sea of circles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Apr 2006 13:58 

LOL, ok the Master was not made into a circle, as the gent who was making the gfx for the diplo screen could not fit it properly into a circle. So we decided to leave it a square. I Thought the gfx of him attached to the comp console was needed. :bs

Cheers, Ken

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006 13:11 
Corporal
Corporal

Brickworks and Forge
I tested the shield production of a city with both of the buildings above.
City Tiles showed 4 shields per turn from mined mountain and grass.
> Next turn showed that only 4 shields had been contibuted to the production ... it should have been 6 .

Also ... Crash to Desktop when I right clicked on the Forge. :AM

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006 14:41 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Fe, I have a AIM account, though I'm hardly ever on it. I think it'd really help if you got YIM, as that's the one I'm on the most. For AIM I'm BOSCommander.

As for CFC, I don't even know what it means, so I guess I'm not a member :AH

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006 14:57 

Oh hey Fe, Greg said it would be MOST helpful if you got MSN. :w maybe help you to decide on deleting AIM and getting MSN. :bs

Fe, from what I remember the production modification comes from the total, not the terrain being worked, try chacking your production before completing the building and then after, I am pretty sure you will see a differnt amount in the total.

And I have no idea why right-clicking on the buildings makes it crash.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2006 19:27 

Ok gents, I think I have squashed the game killing bug. I have uploaded the new BIQ and txt files needed for the new version. Get em and begin testing once again. :bs

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 00:02 
Corporal
Corporal

Great News :mrgreen:

I had a chat with GRM7584 ... creator of Colonise! scenario ... It had a similar crash to desktop bug when right clicking completed buildings in city screen

Quote:
fe3333au: Hi ... you may remember me from last year when you generously sent me your Colonize! scenario via e-mail as I only have a very sloooow dialup
GRM7584: yep ... I sort of vanished didn't I? ^_^
fe3333au: I have sent you a PM about some glitches in a mod I am assisting with ... Fallout
fe3333au: yes ... I'm assuming RL
GRM7584: a whole lot of it
fe3333au: still civing?
GRM7584: I still have some time for video games ... but unfortunately I also like other genres ... and since oblivion came out that's all I've played
fe3333au: he he he ... I'm still addicted to Civ

To Business
fe3333au: anyway I recall that in your Colonize that there was a problem with crash to desktop when you right click on a building that has been built ... in the city screen
GRM7584: yes ... I can't remember what was causing it though, I'm not sure if I ever figured out
fe3333au: Did you manage to debug it? ... x-post

Observations
GRM7584: no, I don't think so...it seemed very random on my system though ... some people encountered it very consistently for certain buildings ... while others seemed to get completely random crashes
fe3333au: It is a strange one ... happening in the Fallout game ... also has a random crash when playing 2 of the 6 civs :-( ... very frustrating
GRM7584: not surprising. maybe if you send them the pedia file for colonize they could do a compare/contrast; I'd help more directly but, RL, and also I don't think they'd like me so much since I sort of bailed on them for fallout city art ^_^
fe3333au: you were involved LOL ...

Accolates about Fallout
fe3333au: It looks great ... and the music really adds atmosphere
GRM7584: well somebody has to do something while we're waiting for bethesda to finish fallout 3 (they're the same ones who made oblivion, the one I'm hooked on now)
fe3333au: anyway I should probably ask on the Custon and creation thread ... others may have had similar problems
GRM7584: well feel free to share the pedia files for colonize if you think it would help for others to be able to compare/contrast
fe3333au: thanks mate ... and thanks for the chat

No Luck :fr

But hopefully not needed now :bl

EDIT ... the crash to desktop still occurs with right click to completed buildings on the City Screen :vm

Observation
I like that you have enabled the mysterious black into the patch ... really adds to getting the feel of exploration of this dangerous new barren world :bs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 04:29 
Corporal
Corporal

Formed an Army with my Early Power Armour unit ... it may just be my computer but each time the army takes a goody hut ... the graphics disappear, I am then told what the hut released and then the graphic jumps back into view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 11:15 

Hmm, Never encountered that bug yet, Can you replicate it with other armies, or is it just with that special army?

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 12:13 
Corporal
Corporal

When I get another Army I will report ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 09:18 
Corporal
Corporal

OK ... I don't have another Army however I was transporting a unit in the methanol car and popped a goody hut ... it happened again.

Therefore it has something to do with wather units that can carry or units that are loaded

OK ... it only happenes when the unit is loaded with another (Army is a transp[ort unit by default)

Transporter RIP ... I tested the death of the metho car .. with a unit inside.
... curious that the transported unit is still alive and even unscathed :AC

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 10:35 

Fe, then that has to be a part of the game engine then, as the units are standard civ units. Strange I never have seen that. :as

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject: Buildings causing Crashes and Palace look in the Civilopedia
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2006 04:27 
Corporal
Corporal

ok, I spent several hours and looked through many of the Fall Out Files. I believe I see what is causing the game to crash when right clicking on a building from inside one of your cities.

The buildings-large.pcx and buildings-small.pcx files need to have 4 images for any building that is not a small or Great Wonder or something such as Wealth. Also the buildings-small.pcx has an incorrect "grid" with the squares out of alignment starting at frame four from the left side. I corrected this as I was adding three more of the Scavenger's Markets to this sheet in order to verify my thoughts on this game crashing situation.

IF you have a building that can be built and or seen in all Eras, even if that building is the same building in all Eras, Make Three more copies of the Building so Both the buildings-small.pcx and buildings-large.pcx have Four images for use. Look at the Solar Plant or Bank from CIV III or Conquest as an example. Probably when this was being put together, it seemed as though a Single image only required one entry. That is also stated in the PediaIcons.txt, However, this SINGLE vs ERA method of placing Buildings in the PediaIcons.txt realllyis not what is seems. IF it is a building, put it in as ERA with the usual 8 entries for large and small .pcx files (even if it ia the Same name repeated when the image is the same one and not an Era specific Image which would indicate the different ERAs in the names). IF the building is a small or Great Wonder, use SINGLE type entry.
...Yes, this means that most entries for buildings in the PediaIcons.txt will have to be Edited to correct them and the buildings-small.pcx and buildings-large.pcx will have to be edited to place Four images to cover all ERAs.
..Now, that is one thing.
The Civilopedia.txt will have to be Edited to place Correct Links to Buildings by writing the buildings in the #GCON_Maintenance areas for costs per turn and also any and all links such as treasury, Food, Resources, etc... Go through the Game Index in the Civilopedia when in a Game and click on each item then try the links for them...you will see that many if not most links do not work. The Civilopedia will be the Most time consumming chore if you intend on having all links work and all items for the game in there.

As for the Palace not looking correct in the civilopedia when you Right click it from inside your city.....this is due to the way the Scenario Links to CIV III as Conquest does. IF you look inside Conquests\Art\Civilopedia\Icons\Buildings, you will Not see any palace .pcx files other than the "PalaceMasks_large.pcx and PalaceMasks_small.pcx". To correct the palace view when Right clicking it to view and read about it in the Civilopedia, simply Remove all 10 other palace .pcx files from the Buildings folder. You can place the PalaceMasks_large.pcx and PalaceMasks_small.pcx in there. The game is trying to both read and link at the same time there I think.

The last thing I believe could be done is to complete the Interface by changing the other areas to match the changes you have already done. Some windows have the Dark Brown and others still have the normal interface windows.

Do look at the settings for each Building in the Editor and see costs etc...so that can be used in the Civilopedia Entries in areas such as Treasury...Costs per turn under GCON_Maintenance. IF any are Factories, they also have their place.

Hope this is all understandable, Let me know IF I need to clarify or elaborate more on any of these issues.....Bottom Line: This Game will function as a deep subfolder and will try to link to many "Mother" files just like Conquest does to CIV III. Keep this in mind because some commands will not indirectly work such as the Keyboard command F9 not show the Palace additions and improvements as it is.

Who ever wants the straightend buildings-small.pcx file, let me know. The Only other changes I made to it are the added Scavenger's Market Buildings. Same for the buildings-large.pcx file.

Ken...I assume you have a Graphics Editor for Copy n Paste procedures? Werner, I am not sure what aspect you have the set up to be able to do here either but PediaIcons.txt corrections would help. I would have at least corrected all of the Buildings on both sheets except I am not yet familier with all buildings and do not know at a glance in the Editor which ones need to have Four Images placed on Both Sheets and then corrected in the PediaIcons.txt entries.

This is Far too Long a Post to absorb without having a Few Drinks to Kill the Pain :bl so Cheers for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2006 04:52 
Corporal
Corporal

Question: Have any of you ever seen the Palace View (F9 Key) work with any Scenario? I have not but then I have not played many scenarios from others. IF this cannot be set to work, then might as well remove the Palace View Folder from Art...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2006 05:27 
Corporal
Corporal

WELL DONE Greg :bs

You are indeed a machine old chap :AH

I'll slowly developing a spead sheet which will hopefully assist us in our endevours ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2006 08:21 

Greg, Outstanding Detective work! And yes I have PSP 5 and anim shop. So if you can send me the corrected buildings small pcx file, I will get to work on correcting the large and small pcx files.

All the buildings will prolly need a pic for all four eras, as they should be seen in all eras.

Once again great detective work my friend! :br

And no, I have never seen the F9 key work in any scen I have played. IIRC, the palace view was disabled by Firaxis for c3c. So I will remove it from the art file.

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2006 08:37 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Whenever I try to click on the description of the PA unit at the Milstores Reclamation, the game will give me this error message:

I don't need to do anything other than click on the unit box in the technology section or in the civilopedia to bring the game crashing down. Looks like this one falls to the art department :AH

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.