The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 03:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Suggestion for upgrades for the mod
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005 14:27 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

This thread is for suggestions for upgrades to improve the mod.

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005 14:40 
Private

I see it with no troubles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2005 17:18 
Private

Rose's Bed and Breakfast-

Another use for the deathclaw resources scattered throughout the map. This building provides nutrious omelets, though it is difficult to pinpoint the origin of Rose's legendary eggs. Several cooks assistants travel to a "chicken coop" behind the eatery to obtain her amazing eggs, though they seem heavily armed to be dealing with domesticated animals. Regardless of the source, these omelets do wonder for the community they are served to. Having Rose's bed and breakfast in a city increases happiness by one, generates/improves food coming into that town and improves culture output.

Deathclaw Domestication Program-

To avoid risky exposure to native contaminants on the mainland, the Enclave began a project to utilize local wildlife in the expeditionary forces. The Deathclaw, arguably highest in the food chain of natural predators, made a prime test subject for use as enclave shock troopers. This project built in a city devotes a team of hard working scientists to the domestication, and further refinement, of tamed Deathclaws. It generates a deathclaw every x turns and increases research in that city.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2005 17:18 
Private

*EDIT*
Sorry for the double post, it did not seem the first one went through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2005 21:05 

Prof, sounds good.

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2005 13:42 
Private

I've two files with me, but chosen to upload them in my board since I don't have much time and you're not online currently.
Search for my post there for the location.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2005 10:30 
Private

Hm, so they're that bad eh?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Nov 2005 17:15 

Flame, no the problem is I can't get on Yahoo. Every time I try, I get shunted off to another damned site. :ve

If there was some way you could get them to me on MSN would be far better.

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2006 21:20 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

How much fiddling can you do with the intelligence of the AI? I'm on Monarch difficulty in my current game and I can generally get them to give me all their money for Fortification or some other low-end technology. The AI is lacking a bit of I, methinks :AH

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2006 21:37 

BOS, there is nothing I can do about the inherent stupidity of the AI. I is one of civ 3's worst problems. :as

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 00:54 
Corporal
Corporal

Quote:
How much fiddling can you do with the intelligence of the AI? I'm on Monarch difficulty in my current game and I can generally get them to give me all their money for Fortification or some other low-end technology. The AI is lacking a bit of I, methinks

BOS13, the reason you are able to gain a large amount of money from the AI for techs is that you are playing on Monarch Level. This changes as you play higer levels. Reason, The AI has a AI to AI trade rate that you can see in the Editor under Difficulty level on the bottom. This setting becomes a much larger percentage as you play higher levels. What this setting does is set the pesentage of Trade for Techs between the AI. IF the setting is Low, the AI does not trade Techs as much and Needs techs faster than they can gain them without trade...so then they are willing to Pay Dearly to gain Techs they need just to keep up.
Compare Monarch level with Sid level. Hugh difference in Trade. IF the AI already has techs from interactive trade from all other AI CIVs, they are not willing to pay much for techs unless they become far behind you.

Another factor that affects how much the AI will pay for Techs is how long it will take them to research and gain the tech. So under the General tab in the Editor, in Technology settings, you can change the Min and Max time to gain a researched tech. IF this time is Longer in the Min and Max slots and you also adjust the settings for the AI to AI Trage Rate to a lower percentage, the AI will pay More for techs. IF all settings are adjusted higher, the AI will not pay much because no need to pay for what they will gain soon, the same as the Other AI CIVs. When you trade a Tech, you might as well take the time to trade that same tech with ALL other AI CIVs because they will all have it free from Trading with the CIV you traded it to. When I say ALL, I really mean most because that does depend on the Level of trade setting but hope you see my meaning.

There is a Balance that takes place between many settings for the Game and all effect eachother. In my MOD, I have adjusted the settings to gain Techs faster in order to have around 200 moves After discovering all Techs in the Tech Tree. Reason, I want time to play with all the Great Units that come after discovering all Techs. In the CIV III Game, normally we have very few moves to injoy the Fun Units that can be built from techs at the end of the tech tree. All that Work and not much time to play so to speak...so I changed that.

...anyway, point is, yes ithe game can be adjusted where the AI appears to be intelligent by actions...but in reality, it is all caused from settings that allow them to gain or not gain techs fast enough to at least keep up. Time and Trade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 10:41 

Greg, thanks for that explanation, I always wondered about that. :br

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 17:30 
Corporal
Corporal

No Problemo...I was disappointed in the so called "intelligence" and "Negotiating Table" of the AI as well after all that was stated Previous to CIV III's release. "Real" artificial intelligence has not made it into CIV yet so the illusion of it is how the game works. While this is all in reality, Settings, it can be altered to suite or provide more of the "illusion" one wants. That said, remember that ALL settings effect much more than one may think. Even though each Editor setting seems straight forward in effect, they influence many other game factors as we change them. Much thought and experimentation is needed to set combinations of settings in the Editor to gain the desired results. Branching, intermingling effects that are usually exponential....much like a Chess Game Thorgrimm :gl sorry, had to add that eheheheheee

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 18:15 

LOL, NP Greg, ya got me there. :bs But have no fear I SHALL have my payback! :twisted: :w

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 18:48 
Corporal
Corporal

OH NO! I have sparked the Revenge of The Fearless Leader! :as ...yes, I rathered figured you would "come looking for me" ... Please make it as Painless as possible :bl

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 09:26 
Corporal
Corporal

I'm thinking Units come under Improvements to Mod :w

Thor, have you looked through the units that were created by Orthanic (?) for the abandoned WH 2K mod

In addition to space marine ... which probably wouldn't fit your world ... I recall some rebots especially a giant spider looking unit.
... :AE Behemoth right ?!!

Also for Bots ... someone created a Dalek ... and Greg improved the sounds ... think Pepper Pot with attached gun screaming 'Exterminate' as their energy weapons reap havok.

Also I recall another mod about colonising Mars ... had some groovy spacesuited humans and maybe vehicles. It could fit the bio hazardous environment of a post nuclear world :bs

There could also be some cool ships that the Bots could build ... and what about Ironclad ??? giving a retro look.

I'm sure there were also weird land units created for a Steampunk mod.

btw ... making progress with the spreadsheet ... entering units at the moment (hence this post) ... and unfortunately have generated some ideas :gl

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 11:07 

Werner, The bot units are pretty set. I have three more to add, roght out of the RPG's, the Sentry Bot, Mr Handy, and the Eyebot. See previews in units thread. Then I am going to add Greg's outstanding Cyclotron unit. So the bots are pretty much set for units.

What I need for them is tech, wonders, and some buildings. :bs

I was also going to use Kinboat's Spaceman Spiff for an early laser unit.

And I am using the Steam Tank from Hikaro Takayama as the non military civs armored unit.

As for naval units, in this mod naval units are secondary, so no more than a patrol boat is required. :AH

I like your willingness to suggest, that was something I could not get the other testers to do, every now and then yeah but it was like pulling teeth to get them to do it. :ad

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 15:44 
Corporal
Corporal

"Spiff" seemed to look good to me as well and I downloaded it thinking I would use him in my MOD as well. I decided not to use him because the Attacks hit the animation frames and cut the laser light off in straight angles...looks Dumb..also slow motion death. Kinboat was always bad on deaths, most of his units had one Foort "nailed to the Floor" as they fell which really took away from it because this is not possible without breaking the anckle of the foot that was "nailed down". Never understood why he animated the other flcs better and failed to perfect his work for attacks and deaths. Probably the same reason why he never made sounds to go with his units or bother with learning how to make good units_32.pcx files even though I sent him the procedure...aaglo uses my tutorial since around the time that he made the Dragon Turtle, which is a Superb Unit.
In my personal opinion, Kinboat's Best Units were the Ettin, Beholder, Green Dragon, His Spiders, Griffin, SturmTiger, RenaultFT17, Robin Hood and the Balrog is Good except again the Flames hit the animation frames and show in the game as cut off in straight window lines. Sounds are always tough to make work well and fit units so VERY selective about units these days...if they don't pass my "standards" to really be worth all the trouble to correct them and then also make other necessary file and sounds...I do not use them. Bottom Line..."Spiff" isn't too Spiffy :gl

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 15:58 

Greg I know, but I can't make uints and need laser armed units. So had no choice. BUT if you 'volunteer' to make them I will round file Spiff. :w

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 16:15 
Corporal
Corporal

Well Hell. Perhaps I can adjust what Kinboat has there...not like it is the first time I have done that for his and most other units I really want. It is usualy faster than starting from Scratch...but the sounds are always a chore... In fact sounds can take as long as making the animations and all files for the new unit. I spent a month making the combined sounds for Kinboat's Beholder...mainly because the run Sounds are extremely difficult to make work with timing correctly...many game engine factors, etc...cause problems that have to be worked out...finding that happy medium that will work dispite not using a .amb file for the sounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 16:36 

Greg, it is your choice. Whatever you think is best for you and the mod. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 16:45 
Corporal
Corporal

ok but the unit choice and final decision is yours OLE Great One. Since I have been so busy, I have not had time to play and still do not really know the Unit Types that are in or that you want in Fall Out....I never played Fall Out but have been told it was very good...Guess I was playing something else but missed playing that one. You check the crash again? you can set the Cost to 0 in the editor to build the building the first turn so no waiting to test in a new game. just remember to reset the settings after or make a "Test.biq" instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 17:22 

Greg, yup in the new game they be ok. So it was the save game reason.

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Apr 2006 17:36 
Corporal
Corporal

Great!...at first, I thought YIKES another problem with the buildings. It occurred to me after immediately posting that I had that same things happen to me when I was trouble-shooting them and used a Saved Game. The Saved games "Remember"...most of the time that is a good thing but Not with "BUGS". And I was all set to have a few drinks to ease the Pain from the Bad News :AM Hey, I can now have a few drinks to Celebrate the Good News :gl Glad things are OK.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 11:16 
Corporal
Corporal

Hey Thor

I posted a screenie of the dark pedia tech entry screen on CFC inquiring if text can be changed in colour.

On the Fallout thread ... Flamand replied to expressing possible assistance ...
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthrea ... ost3915119

While on the general Customs and Creation there was an interesting suggestion ... to keep it generally dark but just highlight the area that requires the text to be legible as if lit by a torch (I your language - flashlight) :gl

Can you take over regarding the files required?