The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 03:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Discussions
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005 14:43 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

This thread will be for the private testers discussions.

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005 16:29 

Version 1-05 of the mod is available for DL.

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2005 18:33 
Private

After staying up far to late for a work night on the new version, the BoS are almost at the final tech age. I will write something more in depth when I finish up and have a chance to go back over the games progress, but there are a few things I thought worth mentioning.

Surprisingly the game seems to be running along the same lines as it has in every other version. By this I mean, Vault City is utterly dominating, NCR is under equipped, and most of the other civs are already destroyed. The Vaulters annihilated NCR, The Children of Set, The Unity and with a little help from The enclave, New Reno. They have also pushed The enclave back to their single water-bound capitol, leaving The BOTS, The Vaults, and me. The Vaulters tried their luck with me recently, but a quick military alliance with the BOTs and the development of my shiny new PA suits kept them in line. Both outnumber me in settlements and troops, but they are also so spread out that their defenses are scattered all across the map.

About NCR, I think they just need the small cal. ammo closer to home. The closest source they have is in a hive of radscorps, so they tend to avoid settling there. I may be wrong about that, but despite NCR's rapid expansion, they are always one of the first to get knocked out of the running. Perhaps a defensive melee unit in place of the citizen pistol would even out the odds for them?

Another aspect of gameplay I am curious about is the diplomatic relations. Can the attitudes of the AI be tampered with at all? It is understandable that civs like the Unity would be more aggressive, but every civ leader seems pumped up on a lethal mix of Jet and Psycho. My diplomatic negotiations are generally limited too, "Go to hell, no tech for you!" or "Geckos for you, please don't kill me." In other words, a few more peaceful or defense oriented mindsets would add alot to gameplay. I realize dimplomacy can not be tweaked very much, but peacefully coexisting with my NCR neighbors would be a nice change of pace.

Post subject: Screenshots
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2005 21:14 
Private

I thought I would ask, because I was messing around with it today and i'm too stupid to make it work. How do you go about posting a screenshot here? I had it down on the other site...

I see the IMG button, but then it says something about an http:// address, and the File is on my computer, not on the internet... Well anyways, thats my big question for today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Nov 2005 17:57 
Private

Tile, I think that means you need to give the http address for whatever site is hosting your screenshots. Photobucket.com is what I use, has a relatively simple interface and is free. Just upload to photobucket then copy and paste the http address that appears under the uploaded picture.

Thor, are the Vaulters supposed to be building power armor or is that Enclave/BoS only?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2005 21:04 

Prof, I will add a closer small cal ammo to the NCR area. And ALL civs start with a Pop Up Turret. but for some reason some civs like to disband it, and I do not know why. As for the PA, yeah the vaulters get early PA, but that is it. You get the Laser PA along with the PA MG, which they do not.

@T-Man, Prof is correct, you need to use something like Photobucket to post screenies. :AH

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 12:54 

Well since it seems that all the testers have used the holiday season to slink off into the night, I am going to shut down the FO mod till further notice. :sad

Thorgrimm

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 15:34 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Don't do that man, I'm still working hard on mine. Games with the Enclave keep screwing up around the same turn, despite my efforts at switching everything I can think of. I'll start that game with the Mutants you suggested soon, either today or tomorrow :AH

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 18:31 

BOS, if we can't figure out why it crashes to desktop for the Enclave and BOS, the mod is fubared anyway. I am going to try and update my version of c3c, and import the mod over to the new large map. Let's see what that does before any firm decisions are made on continuing the mod.

Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Feb 2006 16:31 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Preliminary Government Descriptions

Still kind of rough, but:

(Up Top Description)
Ghouls need to defend themselves from the normals. That’s your view anyway, and you enforce it with an iron fist. Ruling through a combination of fear and respect, you hold a firm control over the Ghouls of California. Though you are rewarded with relatively few domestic problems, you must deal with the lower efficiency of your workers.

The Rule of Set (Ghouls)
Cost/unit=3
Corruption=problematic
Unit Support
Town 1
City 2
Metropolis 3
War Weariness=low
Hurry Method=Paid Labor
Efficiency=100
Draft Rate=2
Military Police Limit=3
(In Depth Description Coming Soon)

(Up Top Description)
Who needs to convince your populace when you control them absolutely, mind and body? You run the government as an absolute dictator, and with your people under your complete control, corruption is hardly a problem at all. War weariness is nonexistent, but you suffer for those benefits in your hurry method, which costs citizens.

Interactive Network (Calculator)
Cost/Unit=3
Corruption=Minimal
Unit Support
Town 1
City 2
Metropolis 3
War Weariness=None
Hurry Method=Forced Labor
Efficiency=150
Draft Rate=2
Military Police Limit=4

(Up Top Description)

You serve as an elected representative of the citizens, but don’t let that fool you. Those citizens that elected you are just as greedy and bloodthirsty as you yourself, and they want you to do whatever it takes to get them more land, which they perceive already as their property. The Enclave Government boasts a low War Weariness and high Military Police Limit, but there are distinct drawbacks. Corruption in the government is a problem, and forced labor is by no means the most efficient way to go about hurrying projects.

Yankee Capitalism (Enclave)
Cost/Unit=3
Corruption=Nuisance
Unit Support
Town 1
City 2
Metropolis 3
War Weariness=Low
Efficiency=150
Draft Rate=2
Military Police Limit=4

(Up Top Description)

The soldiers that the FEV virus created, while strong and swift, were by no means that intelligent. They needed a leader, and as Richard Grey was that leader. Founder of the Mutant armies, he has led them ever since he was first “dipped”. Now they serve him and him alone. Though efficient, the Mutants suffer from forced labor and have no draft ability.

The Will of the Master (Muties)
Cost/Unit=3
Corruption=Nuisance
Unit Support
Town 1
City 2
Metropolis 3
War Weariness=None
Efficiency=150
Draft Rate=0
Military Police Limit=4

(Up Top Description)
Leadership by committee, that’s the Brotherhood way. Led by elders and generals, the Brotherhood of Steel has always preferred to remain relatively aloof of the other cultures, only trading with others and considering no one a threat, due to their advanced technology. This changed when the Brotherhood found the Mutants, and again when the Enclave became known. Now the BOS gears up for war. Corruption isn’t a terribly large problem, and with an efficient hurry method and good draft rate, the Brotherhood has a very solid foundation.

Brotherhood Council (BOS)
Cost/Unit=3
Corruption=Nuisance
Unit Support
Town 1
City 2
Metropolis 3
War Weariness=Low
Hurry Method=Paid Labor
Efficiency=150
Draft Rate=2
Military Police Limit=4

(Up Top Description)
The mobs of Reno may at first seem to be built of but tenuous and temporary alliances, but with the Mordino domination of the other syndicates, they follow whatever rules Big Jesus deigns to hand down. This doesn’t stop anyone from taking a cut of your profits however, and corruption is an enormous problem. Violence really cuts down on your profits, and as such your people are rather disinclined to fighting. Slave labor has few benefits, and the Mob suffers from a relatively low efficiency.

La Cosa Nostra (New Reno Mobs)
Cost/Unit=3
Corruption=Rampant
Unit Support
Town 1
City 2
Metropolis 3
War Weariness=High
Hurry Method=Paid Labor
Efficiency=100
Draft Rate=2
Military Police Limit=6

(Up Top Description)

The Vaults were, by their very definition, isolationist. The government that emerged went that way as well. Supported by the resources their Vault created, they felt little need to interact with the outside world aside from some trading. Though they suffer from corruption and forced labor problems, their advanced technology lends them an edge.

Vault Senate (Vault City)
Cost/Unit=3
Corruption=Problematic
Unit Support
Town 1
City 2
Metropolis 3
War Weariness=Low
Efficiency=150%
Draft Rate=3
Military Police Limit=4

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2006 22:10 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

I won't be able to make the tester meeting on Sunday the 19th, my cousin is getting baptized and I'm gunna be in Michigan suffering through that. If we could do it Saturday or Friday though, that would still work for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2006 00:53 

BOS, whatever is convienent for you bud. :AH

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2006 07:29 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Would Friday at 2:00 Central work for you? If not I'm free from then till about 6:00 or 7:00 hopefully.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Feb 2006 12:54 

Sounds fine by me. :AH

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2006 21:18 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

On my BOS game, I played it up to around 100 turns before it crapped out again, but then I realized something-->I don't think I downloaded anything after you updated your c3c and imported the mod on the big map. If I was supposed to then I feel pretty damn stupid for not doing it, and that may be the cause of the problems with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2006 03:48 
Corporal
Corporal

I am getting my mate to DL version 1-05 and also the music mod.

So hopefully I'll be ready for duty soon :ac

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2006 10:56 

Sounds good Fe, look forward to your insightful input. :bs

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject: Initial Thoughts
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006 03:13 
Corporal
Corporal

Finally got it and installed :mrgreen:

Initial thoughts
... and Please Please Please ... bear in mind my unfamiliarity with Fallout games ... be gentle, I am but a sweet virgin to this mythos :bl

Installation ... Perfect !, so many mods have problems with their self installation, I did it manually as I have changed the order of the files (deleting the Firaxis file) but for the lay person it is fool proof ... :st well Fe proof anyway :st

Music ... Fantastic certainly adds to the atmos of the game.

Picking Team ... Nice new look and LH's look cool ... a minor suggestion the Empire of the Circuit does overlay the Reno button, perhaps if it could be fixed by using two lines, as with the Brotherhood of Steel

Brief Leader Introductions ... OK ... but being anal as I am apt to be :AE

> The Encave > President Richardson of the Americans
... what about President Richardson of America ... (or even Amerika) ... describes a more structured government IMO

> Brotherhood of Steel > Senior Elder Maxson of the Brotherhood
... no change
question - do they also call themselves Steel Brotherhood ???

> New California Republic > President Aradesh of the NCR
... no change ... I like the use of the letters, makes it sound official.

> The Unity > The Master Richard Grey of the Unity
... what about Master Richard Grey of the Unity or The Master 'Richard Grey' of the Unity or The Master, Richard Grey of the Unity
question - I'm assuming some sort of conversion, Is he still refered to as Richard Grey ???
... if not then how about The Master of the Unity and refer to former identy in the description.
... if he retains his old name, how about The Master 'Richard Grey' of the Unity

> The Children of Set > Great One Set of the Ghoul
... no change ... unless
question - Are they the Ghoul or the Ghouls ???
... if not then how about Great One Set of the Ghouls
or
... Great One Set of the Children

> Vault City > Overseer Lyndon of the Vault
... no change

> New Reno Mobs > Godfather 'Big Jesus' Mordino of the The Family
... change to Godfather 'Big Jesus' Mordino of The Family

> Empire of the Circuit > High Thinker Calculator of the Robot
... what about High Thinker Calculator of the Robots
question - Are they colloquially the Robot or the Robots ???
another question - is the name created by yourself or from Fallout ???

> DIFFICULTY
... how about RANDOM as the term, for me at least it refers to game difficulty. :AE

Detailed Civ Descriptions ... these need working on perhaps asking assistance from the forums? ... never know what the manic fan mind will submit :bl

Buttons ... i really like the radiation and bio hazzard icons.

Game Difficulty Level ... why not change these for atmosphere,
it was well done in the Escape from Zombie Island scenario by KingArthur, his are movie ratings :mrgreen:
... maybe ask ideas from forums ... or is there a scale of toxicity ??? ... I think viruses may have them, medication certainly does (will research if you want)
... or even better maybe there is a rad count nomenclature?

Will play as Encave on default settings
... although random game rule settings seems a strange default?
... what I mean is random was already clicked

WOW love the graphics ... what a dark and dismal world indeed :twisted:

... more later

Last edited by fe3333au on 02 Apr 2006 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006 05:54 
Corporal
Corporal

fe3333au wrote:
Will play as Encave on default settings
... although random game rule settings seems a strange default?
... what I mean is random was already clicked

:AE I understand now ... I did mention my innocent, un touched nature didn't I :AC

OK, You probably know these things ... but I may as well go and state the bleedin' obvious :w

The Advisor Screens
> I'm having difficulty reading the titles... perhaps another font colour as the black is difficult to read on the peppered dark grey

Science Screen
> Tech arrows not alligned with the actual technology boxes, they have been pushed down
> some strange 'Debug messaage' under screen title .... assume because it is in Play Testing Mode

City Screens
> I am having a bit of difficulty reading the City Names :cry
... perhaps a lighter colour on top so easier to read the dark script ... or change colour of City Name
> I am having even more difficulty reading the fine print under the City Name.
... perhaps change colour &/or bold the script ... or lighten the boarder colour.
Query - Unsure what Yankee Capital thing is???

Pedia
I have not gone through the entire pedia yet ... but the following are observed 'issues'
> Some of the descriptions could be altered to fit better with the theme.

Technology Information Boxes
> These are way too dark to read and therefore cannot be of any help :cry

Pedia Entries - Resources
> Tribals shown as Tobacco icon.
> Prewar Booze shown as Silk icon.
> Wolves shown as Wheat icon.
> Radscorpians shown as Salt icon

Information Errata ... as seen so far
> Geckos
.... the entry is incorrect ... 'only found in forests' ... but on map seen on hills.
>Wolves are a bonus resource ... however do not show up on bonus screen
Question ... ummm ... why a bonus?
... could Wolves not be slotted as Strategic ... and be used to train a fiercer canine unit?
... I can get you the Dire Wolf unit graphics etc ... if required.

Units
> Some or Most of the pictures are too dark.
... perhaps change background to lighter colour?
> Some lack descriptions or have some that could be changed.

Specific Entries - Units (seen so far)
> Settler
... OK, but description should altered for atmosphere.
> Worker
... change picture to modern worker in overalls
... description should altered for atmosphere.
> Tanker
... OK
> Militia
... OK
> Early Power Armor
... OK
> Scout Dog
... same description as of Militia
... picture dark
> Combat Armor Rifle
... no description
... picture dark

Other Civs
> Citizen Pistol
... picture dark
> Vault Citizen
... what is a G.E.C.K. ... add to description?
> Scout Bot
... no Effects ... mention movement and special ability?
... picture dark
> Bot Rifleman
... picture dark
> Worker Drone
... OK
> Robotic Infantry
... OK
> Bot Settler
... same picture as Worker Drone
... is it the same unit graphic in game? ... if so maybe it can be enlarged?
EDIT ... I see now that it is another unit
> Mutant Settler
... OK
> Mutie Worker
... OK
> Mutant Melee
... picture dark
... Hmmm ... maybe change name to Mutant Shirmisher ???
... no description
> Ghoul Worker
... wrong picture ... maybe use the original zombie?
> Ghoul MG
... dark picture

Barbarians
> Radscorpions
... wrong picture shows Deathclaw
> Deathclaw
... dark picture
... Description says under Encave control ... are these ones that became uncontrolable and got away?

Specific Entries - City Build Options (seen so far)
> Palace
... picture size too small
... description could be altered for atmosphere.
> Scavenger's Market
... OK
> WEALTH
... OK, however description could altered slightly for atmosphere.

Last edited by fe3333au on 02 Apr 2006 11:49, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006 07:37 
Corporal
Corporal

Bad News :vm ... Game CRASH !!!

Right clicking on the buildings that have already been built results in a Crash to Desktop Error

Well it did when I right clicked the Fishery that had been built in the Capital.

ALSO ... pedia City Improvements
> Palace Icon is too large :AM

ALSO ... Unit Actions
> I have a Militia unit standing over a new settlement (he unloaded with the settler who founded city last turn)
... strangely an option is for him to join the city (as would be expected from a worker)
... tested and indeed he joined the city and population is now 2 :AC
... retesting shows that all units have this.

ALSO ... Movement for Dog
> I wanted dog to get a barb hut which is 9 tiles away ... it showed 5 turns.
... it will reach it by turn 3 ???
... Have checked and the movement rate on right hand screen and the pedia shows 1 ???
... actual movement is 4 ... too much for a dog if humans can only move 1 ... suggest 2.

ALSO
> Noticed (I think) that a NCR canine unit seemed to walk over a goody hut ... It's icon still remains.
... I think however if i move there I will find it will be gone ... not sure though.

ALSO
> Received Fortification tech from a goody hut.
... T'm thinking that a more wooden fort type picture would be more suitible ... I think I have access to something if you want.

Good News :bs

I have sent you some icon graphis
> Zombie - to be used as Ghoul Worker in pedia
> Wolf Resource - to replace Wheat icon

Also noticed that many units lack sounds ... among others, I have access to various dog sound files from EFZI-2 scenario ... want them ??

Also there is a varienty of dog units if you want different canines graphics for the factions ... thinking Vaults would have pure breeds ... and Ghouls some weird mutant dogs (I have both)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006 10:09 
Corporal
Corporal

And yet more observations ... sorry buddy you asked for it :mrgreen:

Diplomacy Error
> First contact in the game ... New Reno Mobs
... I guess it will be changed to sound God Father-ish
Image[/img]

Worker Actions
> Have noticed that workers take samel time to complete work on roads and other actions irregardless of terrain type.

Terrain Type
> Have noticed that those wonderfull city ruins are an overlay.
... do you think it would work if they were their own terrain type?
... that way they could have their own specific bonuses.
ie. Food = nil, Shields and Cash some value, specific Defence and Movement values, no option to improve other than a road (which would be creating a path by clearing thedebris away)

Observation
... I really like the border :bs
... music
... terrain tiles

Wonder ... Rediscover Trade
> requires text description.

Sea Barbs
... If you havn't thought about sea barb units ... there is a great looking Kracken unit (giant squid)

Barbarians Pussies :twisted:
> Suggestion for the game
... I'd make them tougher, every team is having absolutely no trouble a all in getting rid of them.
... The Badlands should be a dangerous place.

Fisheries
> They act as harbour in the vanilla civ.
... I think that they should NOT be automatic, I think it could give the Encave an advantage.
EDIT ... sorry my mistake the newly founded coastal cities do not get Fisheries automatically.

Potential for Major Irritation for Players
> The City Screen IMHO must be changed so ne can view all relevant data.
... at the moment I have to count shields to calculate when things are built :sad

... I think if you extend the yellow parchnment it would solve things
... same for the Technology Descriptions :AH
... may be a bit pedantic ... but my personal observation

Date and Calendar
> Will there be a dating system ... will we have a coffee :AE
... Thinking maybe unless there is a specific timeline ... start at zero and count up.
... would it be incriments of a year?

Research Rate
> moving the slider
... thinking that -34gold penalty for 100% reserach may be not enough

Hmmm ... Just had the Game Crash to Desktop :AC
... unsure why this happened as it occured during the AI's turn.
Question ... have there been other reports of this ????

Resource Question ... Do the resources run out and reappear?
... Thinking this could be cool and indicate that ammo is used up and then other caches found.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006 13:38 

Werner, I will try and answer your questions to the best of my ability. :bs

First of all, A lot of your questions can be answered by me saying that I have not patched my version of c3c yet it is still plain vanilla c3c. So the text files are a bit off. I will be patching my c3c before converting to the larger map.

1. I do not know how to make it use a second line I tried differing things and it still wrote it out in one line. Any suggestions?

2. The reason I went with President of the Americans is that the nation, America, does not exist, only the Americans exist in the mind of the Enclave.

3. No, only call themselves the Brotherhood. To outsiders they are the BOS.

4. No he is only referred to as The Master. I like your suggestion and will go with The Master of the Unity and refer to his real name in the description.

5. It is the Ghoul nation, the citizens are Ghouls. So I think I have to stay with Ghoul in the name.

6. I will go with the plural, Robots, it sounds better. :bs

7. I think I will change the difficutly to different Rad levels, as in how much of a dose and let them figure out that on the former sid level, 1000 Rads means instant death. :twisted:

8. I have no idea how to change the font color in civ, if you know please let me know. I have been trying to fix that for ages now.

9. Yeah I do not know how to make the arrows match. Yankee Capitalist is the govt type for the Enclave.

10, the Pedia and Civ txt files have not been worked on, just enough entries to show in game. I figured once we got the game to the final position, then we would work on the txt entries.
Sure, if you can get a Dire Wolf, I can add it as the advanced wolf unit for the critter civ.

11. The crashing to desktop when right clicking on the built buildings is known, BUT nobody knows why it does it. Going through the CFC threads, I saw it mentioned a couple of times, but no one ever figured out why it did it. If you know why please let me know. Been trying to squash that bug since the beginning. :AM

12. All units cost pop, and just like workers, when disbanded re-add that pop to whatever city they are in. And in Fallout, getting your frontier cities up to speed is of PARAMOUNT importance. :twisted:

13. The dog has the ability of all terrain as roads, and road movement is 4, so the doggies move IS only one, but at road movement speed. :bs

14. Sure, send the different Dogs my way.

15. Actually that is not an error, the civ name is the New Reno Mobs. In the RPG there were 4 mobs just the Mordinos were the largest faction.

16. the Enclave workers have a time bonus due to the govt type. You will notice a different length for the different factions.

17. Yeah I had the Kraken, just not put it in yet. As for the barbs, you should have seen it in the first go around, nobody could expand, WAY TOO many barbs. :twisted:

18. Most of those are from the not having the patch while you do.

19. On what turn did it crash? This is the bug we have been trying to find for the Enclave and BOS, none of the others have it. :ad

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006 15:21 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

He Fe, welcome to WotG. I've been doing a little work on the descriptions, but haven't done muh recently on that front. On that note, Thor, could you be on YIM around 2 or 3 your time?

(Sorry I missed the testers meeting today, for some reason I couldn't log in on my account, was on the phone for a while with Dell about it.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006 17:06 

BOS, I was on, yet you were a no show. Whats going on bud?

Cheers, Thorgrimm

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2006 19:37 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

I just said. I couldn't get on to my account on my computer, and had to call Dell to find out how to fix the problem.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next