The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 03:35

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Text Errors
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 02:46 
Corporal
Corporal

I thought it may be a good idea to have a separate thread to report errors in the text. :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 02:49 
Corporal
Corporal

Pedia Error

It has reference to a popup turret in the Deathclaw unit entry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 05:03 
Corporal
Corporal

Overlay of Civilisation Titles
> Empire of the Circuit title overlays into the Reno Mobs

Possible Solution - change title to The Empire of the Circuit
... I would have tested myself but didn't know which text file this information live :sad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 11:17 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Fe, good idea on the txt error thread. And Yeah I was going to look into adding The to the two that overlap. Will test and get back to you.

Keep up the damned good work my friend. :br

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 12:20 
Corporal
Corporal

Also thought about the F-8 Screen which shows the graphs of culture, VP's etc

Is it possible to have abbreviations in the civ names?

So that the names will all appear over the actual graph information.

What I mean by abbreviations is ...
Brotherhood of Steel ... BOS
New California Republic ... NCR
etc.

Not a biggy but it will be neater, especially when you add new civs :w

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Apr 2006 12:22 

FE, I don't think it is possible, because it draws the names from what you have called the civ. I think, but don't quote me on that. :bs

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2006 03:18 
Corporal
Corporal

I have asked for maximum character limits for the various information boxes in CFC site.

Quote:
Hi Guys

Can someone either post or direct me to where I can find the maximum character length for the various information screens used in the game.

I 'm looking at ensuring that names do not extend past the information boxes or overlap with another label.

eg
Right clicking on Terrain which contains a resource.
Foreign (Diplomacy) Affairs screen which contain the leader name and civilization.
General Information box found at the bottom right hand in the game, which contains Unit, Rank, Stats, Civ Name, Government, etc.

Thanks for your help

This will give us limits to be aware of when labeling things.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2006 10:00 

Good Idea dude. And I have renamed the 'offending' civ and their govts to much shorter names.
:AH

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2006 15:09 
Corporal
Corporal

While I agree that it would be Great to have a set "Formula" of character limits for all windows, this will not really be possible without a vary envolved and detailed explaination.
Example: Playing Enclave at the start of the game, when you click on a Early Power Unit and view the information box on bottom right of the screen, you will see the stats and government also listed.
"The Enclave - Yankee Capitalism (5.5.0)" This fits perfectly across the window. IF you count the characters used, you will see that there are 39 across the window which includes the stats and parentheses. IF all stats used only one diget, that would offer something to go by but I am sure some units use more than single diget stats such as 10 and up. There are 32 character spaces across that info window that can be used for the Civ name and government name IF the Unit only uses single diget stats.
Probably the best way to find answers to the character limit for windows is to take screenshots of various units, governments and Civs etc... and count the character spaces.
So do the stats get placed on another line in the Window if the Civ and Government names are too long to allow the stats to register on the same line...I do not think so.

The First letter of the Abbreviated Month (Oct) in the above mentioned window does not fit and extends out past the left of the screen.
In the case of Resources, I can tell you that they cannot use more than 10 character including spaces. Like in my MOD, I had to state "Dragon Eggs" as DragonEggs without the space to have it fit and allow all else to fit properly. so Resources 10 limit, including spaces and the info box window uses 39 total character spaces across for CIV and Government names and Stats with parentheses.
Good Luck finding some "formula" but due to the variables, we will probably have to simply go by the total spaces and what is listed in them in the windows. IF a dash and 2 spaces are used between the Civ and Government names for all, then we can deduce that we have a total of 29 character limits including spaces for all combinations of Civ and government names. Add up the total number of characters in the longest government name including spaces and subtract this number from 29 ( if only single diget stats are used) and you will have the Civ Name Limit if these factors are correct. IF the stats use any double digets then you must subtract them from 29 before subtracting the characters in the longest government name.
IF this is all becoming confusing...I believe if you want to ensure all Civ and Government names along with any Stats and parentheses fit the info box, the total usable character limits will be 26. This allows for three double diget stats with parentheses. So try subtracting the longest government name from 26 and you will have the total usable character limits for CIV Names, including spaces. IF this window is made larger, then longer names can be used.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2006 16:13 
Corporal
Corporal

OK Conquest differs from CIV III, Resources can use 11 Total characters in Conquest, including spaces. So "Dragon Eggs" with a space would fit in Conquest for example.

I suggest Dropping the Comma after the Month to correct that area of the info box.

The Terrain Info Box can use 42 total characters for the Civ Name and Unit Name, including spaces as long as single digit Stats are used. When any double digits are used, subtract them as well or use 36 as the total, which will accommodate 6 double digit stats. The Stats and parentheses will shift as needed to accommodate the Civ and Unit names and each set of Stats has a space before and after each parentheses.

The Civ and Government names will have to be shortened. IF there will be new windows for all areas, then all figures will change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2006 16:17 

Greg, how do you drop the comma? I don't think you can because the date is picked in drop down boxes. So I don't think it can be removed.

As for the names of civs and govts, already done. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2006 16:27 
Corporal
Corporal

Yes, that is built in... :sad IF this window can be made wider by even one character, it would fix that Month letter problem. I have not checked into this but should be possible. Has Jos tried to enlarge this window yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Apr 2006 16:31 

Greg, I don't know, I have not heard from Jos since my posting of his first attempt at the interface.

Gunny's color #FF2400