The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 03:45

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007 15:40 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

I know it isn't Marine Corp Kenn, but give me some credit... Yes, its about 50 or so pounds with the four plates (side plates and chest and back) and plus another ten pounds for ammo, but cut a Joe some slack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Nov 2007 23:29 
Sergeant
Sergeant

^I'll be happy if they give me a bullet proof cup.

I found out that OH&S has gone too far. When i'm on Flightline duties (on the tarmac) i have to wear high-vis vests with reflective strips. Even over in the sandpit.

Wave your arms and shout."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007 04:50 
Corporal
Corporal

Benno the Mad wrote:
^I'll be happy if they give me a bullet proof cup.

I found out that OH&S has gone too far. When i'm on Flightline duties (on the tarmac) i have to wear high-vis vests with reflective strips. Even over in the sandpit.

Like a float coat? AHA! Luckily I've never experienced "The Boat"

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2007 07:14 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Carib wrote:
I know it isn't Marine Corp Kenn, but give me some credit... Yes, its about 50 or so pounds with the four plates (side plates and chest and back) and plus another ten pounds for ammo, but cut a Joe some slack.

It will do Gunslinger, :w it will do. :bs

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Last edited by Þórgrímr on 17 Feb 2009 17:47, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Nov 2007 11:13 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

This was from MOUT on Shugart Gordon, Ft. Polk. Not the best duty station but the shoot house and MOUT site are excellent!

ON THREE!!!

And this is some down time... After all, a soldier isn't a machine

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Nov 2007 22:23 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Must....Not...Make...Fun...Of...Turqoise...

I notice they still give you the old Interceptors :P

We got the newer body armor now. based off some sniper vest

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2007 09:42 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

We just got the new ones monday. The new ones are far more comfortable, and yes, I know, the turqois has me to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Nov 2007 23:13 
Sergeant
Sergeant

...turquoise? wth?

Wave your arms and shout."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Nov 2007 17:06 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Me and Sarge....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2007 17:55 
Corporal
Corporal

The KC-130 takes a hard turn and I feel the pressure of my body pressed against my left side and Marines are jolted awake as the crew gives us a reason to appreciate what they do. I struggle to look right and I see the Loadmaster laughing as he watches us wakeup and panic temporarily. I can see nothing since there is no window near me. I feel the familiar light bump of the wheels touching the ground and I can hear the engines rev up as the KC-130 does its infamous reverse propeller trick to help slow down. Finally we slow to a coast and the Loadmaster and one of the crew chiefs lower the bottom and top ramps as we taxi. Light and rain pour in and humidity and warmth wash over us as we struggle against our belts to look upon the light and island that we have landed on. short jungle foliage line either side of the runway and we can see the other KC-130s of our formation hitting the runway. Finally the last two engines are cut once we come to a stop and I can see Japanese Maritime Self-Defense members out taxiing another KC-130 in behind us. The smell of rain, fuel, exhaust, and that of the Pacific Island finally hit my numb mind. My heart races with excitement and my mind cannot believe that I have just touched down here on a tiny little island in the West Pacific, only eight square miles in area. On the south-western end of this island, around seventy-two years ago, Marines from the 5th and 4th Marine Divisions touched down on a small strip of clear beaches east of a dormant volcano known as Suribachi. I have arrived, here on Iwo Jima... Sulfur Island.

Just a snippet I'm doing for a write-up for my unit and possibly Armchair General's Website (maybe magazine if I'm lucky)...

So here are some pictures of my latest adventures, I'm sure you know where these are... one is from our Marine Corps Ball where SgtMaj Gorczewski was our guest of honor. Awards include Legion of Merit, 2 Bronze Stars with Combat V's, 2 Navy Commendation Medals with Combat V's and what really caught my attention.... SEVEN (!) Purple Hearts. He had an amazing story to tell that reminds all of us what it means to be Marines. My Squadron SgtMaj always has a knack for doing little pushes like that.

The Ball

At the top towards the beaches

My contribution to the 5th Marine Division memorial

Rememberance afterwards

Me on the beaches

This is what the 4th Marine Division Marines saw.. there are at least 6 concrete bunkers hidden from view.

Finally something I call... "Red Sun, Black Sand" Clint's Japanese title for "Letters from Iwo Jima" this image I think evokes much about the battle.

I never thought in my short 5 year enlistment I'd ever get to set foot on Iwo Jima, I doubt one of our Sergeants would have thought he'd be re-enlisted and sworn in at the top of Suribachi either (our SgtMaj had as well way back when at the end of his first enlistement)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Nov 2007 19:07 

Congrats man, That was a nice snippet and I hope you get it in the Armchair General since I read that mag. Gonna have to let us know if you get published.

Now, when are you gonna write some more of your T2K fan fic? :w

Damn dude, I must say I am a bit envious of you. In my time in I never even got close to Iwo Island, much less set foot there. Man I am gettin shivers looking at those pics. So I can just imagine how you felt being there. :as

edit: @Benno, I had to revoe those Red x's from your last pic posts. I REALLY dislike red x's. :AM This is why I keep ALL pics added the WOTG. So I can replace them in case they disappear for what ever reason.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Last edited by Þórgrímr on 17 Feb 2009 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2007 05:53 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Wow.... Iwo Jima, Marines version of Mecca. Man, I know I am just a doggy but I would love to see the site of one of the hardest battles that was ever waged in World War II.

Cool pics man. I am sure its an experience. Well I am here in Sunny Kuwait, and that is for sure an experience for me as I am heading off to Baghdad to do my part in this conflict.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2007 09:35 

Carib wrote:
Wow.... Iwo Jima, Marines version of Mecca. Man, I know I am just a doggy but I would love to see the site of one of the hardest battles that was ever waged in World War II.

Cool pics man. I am sure its an experience. Well I am here in Sunny Kuwait, and that is for sure an experience for me as I am heading off to Baghdad to do my part in this conflict.

Glad you finally let us know you got to the big sandbox safe and sound. :bs

And the army has their 'Iwo's' to. Here are a couple... Hmmm... give me a minute to think... this may take a while.... :w

Actually I can think of three right off hand; George Washington and the Continental Army Trenton Revolutionary War, 20th Maine Little Round Top American Civil War, Gen Thomas and his Army of the Cumberland Chicamauga American Civil War.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007 05:56 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

In Kuwait... Striking a pose...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007 07:05 
Corporal
Corporal

Carib wrote:

The Ardennes, the Meuse-Argonne, Anzio, Monte Cassino, Guadalcanal as well, Okinawa, Ia Drang, Puson, Normandy.

You "Doggies" got your fair share as well, all places I'd like to go, cept Oki, been there done that :D .

But stay safe and keep it real.

And dare I say... Hooah!?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007 08:45 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

And a few other pics...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2007 10:45 

Great pics Rama. Look forward to more. :bs

@Wolfblade, to be fair, Monte Cassino was finally taken by the Poles in the British 8th army and not Mark Clark's 5th US Army. So it can't classify as a US Army 'Iwo'. :w :bs

To me the biggest 'Iwo' for the Army is Bastogne.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007 12:44 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Here is me and my Ka-tet... The Black Hawks!!!

From the Back left...
PFC Woods, SPC. Vessels (Tall guy), SSG Durfee (Boonie Hat), SGT, Beauchamp, PVT Gross, 1st LT Chabalko, SSG Hodgins, PV2 Beaton, SGT Beasley, SPC McKinny, PFC Schafer, PVT Havens, PFC Torres, PV2 Mensch, PVT Garner, PV2 Kidd, SGT Fosmire, SPC Davis, SPC Robinson (helmet), PV2 Morin, SPC Cassas, PSG West...

Front Row from Left to right kneeling
PFC White, Sgt. Thomas (Milky), SPC Engstrom, SPC Turner, PFC Toulon and PV2 Hoffmann

From Left to Right and Down...
PFC Torres, SGT Beasley (TL B), PFC Toulon, SPC McKinny, SGT Paz (TL A) and PV2 Morin

Last edited by Carib on 15 Dec 2007 13:33, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007 12:53 

Rama, great pics bud. You think you could edit the posts and add the names to the faces? That way we have a record of who is who. :bs

Just in case some do not make it back.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2007 13:45 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Done.... This is my Ka-Tet, the B Co. 2-4, 3rd Platoon Black Hawks... Toughest Barves and Gunslingers this side of OIF Fob Falcon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2007 12:35 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

This is Daughter of Talib... Cute girl... she was a victim of a Mortar attack. But she is a brave lil girl. Gotta respect Iraqi courage.

Me sporting Jaffer's AK-47 (he declined a photo)

Time for Iraqi Tea Time... Sip some Chi! (in order from left to right, PFC Gross, PFC toulon (me), and the badass Sergeant IA Malek!)

Me and the dribble kid... Cute ain't he?

And of course the Bubblegum Gang!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Dec 2007 15:52 
Corporal
Corporal

Excellent post Carib! Love to see pictures of the kids carefree on the streets; a generation that will hopefully know freedom.

Hey if you ever call F-18s in, they might come courtesy of my best friend (another airframer) if they're from her squadron.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007 11:50 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Air Calvary? I wish... We're in the Muhallahs (city) they don't even have use for FO's and Mortars unless it comes to it. Its street sweeping for now, Wolf... Street Sweeping. And I got some 'Sniper' Overwatching today and will be doing so for a bit. Makes me think I should just put in a packet for Scouts (sniper) after I make it back State Side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007 15:18 
Corporal
Corporal

Carib wrote:
Air Calvary? I wish... We're in the Muhallahs (city) they don't even have use for FO's and Mortars unless it comes to it. Its street sweeping for now, Wolf... Street Sweeping. And I got some 'Sniper' Overwatching today and will be doing so for a bit. Makes me think I should just put in a packet for Scouts (sniper) after I make it back State Side.

Nah Marine Air Support from Al Asad. My best friends Hornet Squadron is out there for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2007 19:55 

Rama, lovely kids there. And they are the reason we SHOULD be there, but no, the bastards in our own government would rather put a pricetag on their lives. Not cost effective some bastards in Congress are whining right now. How can those cocksuckers EVER put a value on a person's life? If there is even the smallest chance we can help those children grow up without fear and in freedom then we should be there till that has been accomplished.

Wa abandoned an ally once, look what happened, the communists rolled in and began shooting anybody they did not like. Then we were hit with a flood of refugees fleeing that tyranny. All because the piss ants back home were crying about it. We ALLOWED those South Vietnamese to be massacred by the north. I am surprised any ally would trust us now. Why is that you ask? Because in 10 years of that action 55,000 Americans died. About the same amount that die in car accidents in one year. Americans need to get their priorities straight. If the bastards alive during the Viet and Iraqi conflicts were around in WW2, the Germans and Japanese would have won the war. :AM

Sorry to rant, but seeing those children should remind us ALL to NEVER again abandon an ally to the forces of evil. :ad

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next