The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 19 Mar 2024 06:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007 23:46 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

I am now a Gunslinger.. err Infantryman.

-Former Green Beret on my right (Dad), me in the middle and British Para on my left (Dad's big brother and my uncle) I guess I got a lot to live up to, huh?

And the Graduation Smoke Session... You can't smoke a rock!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007 11:27 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Hey Carib, I love those graduation pics, and yup you do have a lot to live up to. But I suspect you will be up for the job. :bs

Only thing is your beanie looks too much like a UN beanie for my tastes. But then again, thats only me. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007 01:11 
Sergeant
Sergeant

not a fan of beret's at all. glad i dont have to wear them... although over here its tilted over the left eye from the right ear. what are the medal ribbands youre wearing there??

finished recruits last thursday. grad parade was shit hot, although we didnt get a fly over. i report to my new unit in wagga on monday, and im on pool flight until october when my course starts, which really sucks ass.

the ground defence shit we did was pretty fun. loved it, even though part of our assesment was sleep dep. and so i only got 2 hours in a week. another bloke started shooting at a star picket around midnight on the last night cos he thought it was the enemy. that excercise was awesome - we were attacked almost every 4 hours, and on the last night we had 40 blokes against us, with mortars (shotguns with birdscaring shot) steyrs, minimi's, a mag58, and even an m60. had the biggest battle fat, and i lost my voice for a day or two from screaming out target indications. the bloke to the left of me in my pit managed to hit me in the head with every single ejected round, too. that shits annoying as hell, but it was warm - not that i felt it at the time. fucking love that adrenalin. straight after that battle, we cleaned up and started the CO's challenge - 4k stretcher carry, half of it wearing our gas masks, then a cold decon shower, obstacle course, bout a k of fire and movement drill, and then we pulled a unimog a couple of k. my glasses got fucked up - i chucked them in my webbing for the gas gas gas, and they stayed there through the rest of the challenge. absofuckinglutely fucked up. it would have been easier if we had a bigger section - only 14 people. but ahh well, cant win them all. i was crying from pain at the end of it, and im not at all ashamed, nor was i the only one. it was about 2, 2 and half hours of being slammed, and the guys at the front of the ropes on the truck pull went jack and let the ropes go slack... i felt like buttstroking the cunts. at the end of it, we didnt lose anyone, but 3 guys got charged for ND's and UD's, one bloke got charged for an insecurity (he left his locker unlocked that whole week). I was 2IC for my section, and i done a damn good job if you ask me. no one from my section got fucked over. was pretty funny for the guyhs that did get fucked over - the training team had 6 red plastic steyrs to give to people who made a weapon violation, like picking it up the wrong way or ND/UD, and they ran out on section 1. they had to give a guy a broom to use as a weapon... he got in the shit for using it to sweep some dirt off something, and when we got attacked by mortars it was piss funny to see a guy crawling to his piut with a freaking broom. He even shouted "bang" when 2 guys attacked his pit... pure comedy gold.

heh... that was a bit of a rant.

Wave your arms and shout."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007 10:08 

Benno, sounds like you should have went ground forces instead of the flyboy route. :bs great read dude.

And yeah I remember our 'hell week'. :as The hardest thing for me was the sleep dep. When the shit was hitting the fan I had no probs, but once the adrenalin wore off it was a bitch to keep my eyes open. :ad

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Last edited by Þórgrímr on 17 Feb 2009 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007 00:27 
Private

So, actual firefight? Shit man, and I thought gunpoint mugging were bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007 01:28 
Sergeant
Sergeant

heh... yeah. I was cover man when we got to take a corporal P.W... its strange to point a weapon with a bad boy in the barrel at someone who is 2m away.

sleep dep sucks ass. one bloke started shooting at a friggin' star picket we'd used for our cuntwire fences, and i kept on hearing people calling my name. its freaky... although now i know i can do it its all good. one of the girls was having an in-depth conversation with her steyr, apparently.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007 09:31 

Benno the Mad wrote:
heh... yeah. I was cover man when we got to take a corporal P.W... its strange to point a weapon with a bad boy in the barrel at someone who is 2m away.

sleep dep sucks ass. one bloke started shooting at a friggin' star picket we'd used for our cuntwire fences, and i kept on hearing people calling my name. its freaky... although now i know i can do it its all good. one of the girls was having an in-depth conversation with her steyr, apparently.

@Pip, no these were training sessions Benno and I went through.

@Benno, the first time I heard my name called, I could have sworn it was real. What bothered me the most was the entire conversations I thought I was hearing at the whisper level. :ad

yup, the feeling of the power you have over someone, literally life or death, can be addictive to some. but it does set the blood to boiling.

Yup, once you get through it the first time it gets easier to pick out the imagined and the real. One reason it is SO good to get that training.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Last edited by Þórgrímr on 17 Feb 2009 17:41, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2007 09:31 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Recent picture to pass the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Sep 2007 12:37 

Sorry it took me so long to reply, been a real bitch trying to see anything lately. :ad

But now you know why I have Steve carrying one of those bad boys. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Sep 2007 15:36 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Life at JRTC... and here are the pics...

Me and my Battle Buddy Tim Robinson...

Striking a Pose... When you got free time at JRTC, you use it... Me being the man of color and the one crouching is our Man with the prawn Romero and the one standing looking all cool and like the guy from Transporter is my Room mate...

The Outside of the FOb... Beyond the wire... Had to sleep out there for three nights... Place was spooky.

The CH-47 coming in...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007 04:25 
Sergeant
Sergeant

very nice. you still in training Carib? if not, why do you still have to share a room? i got my own room now im in techo training. its pretty shit - my air con dont work and my walls are all waterdamaged, but its my own room and i can sleep naked if i want to. Although one bloke got infringed and fined 2 days pay for having his room messy - and when we get paid 60 bucks a day thats a fair whack.

what have you got in that first piccy? looks like something fun to play with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Sep 2007 07:49 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

The first pic is the M249 Squad Automatic Weapon. And the training I was in Benno was the Joint Readiness Training; all US units, to include the Marines and Navy and Air Force come there to train. Its over for now, though we still do little courses and classes and the such.

We deploy November, so they're trying to get us to absorb as much as possible.

On rooms, us Joes usually have to share a room, that is just how the army is. Unless your an NCO living on Barracks, you don't have a room to yourself. Not in this army. But my room mate is cool, so no worries.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007 21:34 
Private First Class
Private First Class

So heres my pics of my recent 9 month vacation :ad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Sep 2007 21:42 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Nice Corpsman. Nice. I will be sure to send a few pics down when I am in country, more or less settled in. From what I hear the area I am off to is pretty cooled down for now... and picks up around the new year.

Nice ACOG, all I got for my troubles was a M16A4 with M68 CCO (getting it replaced with an EOtech holo-sight).

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2007 06:59 
Sergeant
Sergeant

how come you havent got DPCU on? and nice cam pattern on the weebing pouches... bright green. Gotta love that lowest bidder.

I just got my dog tags today. They spelt my name wrong. :ad

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2007 07:21 

Benno the Mad wrote:
how come you havent got DPCU on? and nice cam pattern on the weebing pouches... bright green. Gotta love that lowest bidder.

Lol, yeah the military 'wisdom' astounds me at times. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2007 18:22 
Private First Class
Private First Class

Benno the Mad wrote:

DPCU??

Desert Pattern Camouflage uniform?

Desert Pattern Canadian Uniform?

In half those pics im in a khaki flight suit. which is what we wore usually. because its more comfortable.. sand is tan, your in a HMMWV mostly etc.

the rest are marine issue digital deserts.

Green and woodland camo. All they had at the time but oh well

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2007 06:31 
Corporal
Corporal

Miles wrote:
Benno the Mad wrote:

DPCU??

Desert Pattern Camouflage uniform?

Desert Pattern Canadian Uniform?

In half those pics im in a khaki flight suit. which is what we wore usually. because its more comfortable.. sand is tan, your in a HMMWV mostly etc.

the rest are marine issue digital deserts.

Green and woodland camo. All they had at the time but oh well

Damnit, and I have to earn my flightsuit by getting a damn engine turn-up qualification... go figure :at

Me on the Kintai Bridge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2007 03:56 
Sergeant
Sergeant

DPCU = disruption pattern combat uniform (aka "cams")

its fairly comfy, and is now my normal working dress. used to have air force blue king gee's, but they got replaced by the highly flammable made-in-china cams that our army wears. guess its cheaper for the head shed.

whats the deal with that digital camouflage stuff anyway? it looks funky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2007 16:15 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Shotgun clearing....

My Maiden.... There is possibility.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Oct 2007 12:23 

Is that the lady you were telling me about? man is she a hottie. I say go for it dude. Develop that relationship you were telling me about. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007 04:05 
Sergeant
Sergeant

At the Wagga Wagga Races 2 saturdays ago, about 3pm. That white thing im holding is a tower of empty cups, which previously held beer. Quite proud of the fact that i can still stand in that photo. The races were great, because of the Horse flu', there were no horses and therefore no races (except to the bar), so it really was just a B&S ball that started with a light lunch.

12 hours later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Oct 2007 11:13 

Hey Benno, the Aussie Air Force must be good for ya, you lost a lot of weight judging by your pic of yer stack o beer cups. :bs

Nice pics dude.

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007 07:39 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Me and my Cousins in the country side of Dominica

Some nice scenic Photos

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Oct 2007 12:05 

Beautiful and rugged countryside there bud. Nice pics.

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 209 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next