The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 29 Mar 2024 03:10

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Suckage of Real Life
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 16:55 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

On March 13th, My older sister, Geraldine Mayo, age 52, died of colon cancer. She had been fighting it for a year now. But the disease was not caught fast enough, so even with being gutted like a fish and taking chems that left her bald and weak as a kitten, she passed the veil into the next world. :cry

When I was a boy, I remember how we would walk to the department stores and movies, she always took her 'lil bro', me, with her everywhere even when her friends said she was not 'cool' for doing so. The first time I ever saw the Jungle Book we stood in line for two hours waiting our turn to see it. Yet she never once complained about being 'tied down' by a younger sibling.

As we grew up, we also grew apart. She got into drugs and alcohol, where I got into history and the military. Of all of my other real brothers and sisters, she never treated me wrong. Unlike my brothers who robbed me blind every chance they got, Geraldine, or Gerri as she liked to be called, never did me wrong.

Needless to say, I was devastated when my mother called me and gave me the news that she was on her deathbed. I hopped onto a redeye to Tampa Florida to be by my sister in her last hours.

The thing that hurt the most and will continue to haunt me till the day I die is the fact that on her deathbed her final statement was,
"Where is my lil bro?"
She died before I could get down there. :cry

If nothing else you take away from this is this, NEVER take for granted that a loved one will be there tomorrow. For you never know when the lord will call them home. :cry

I apologise for my disappearance and hope you can forgive my sudden disappearance. I will be posting as soon as I finish this. I need to do something to take my mind away from the pain. So I will be probably making huge posts. As it looks now, the assault on Mariposa is going to be three huge posts.

Thorgrimm

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 17:03 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Damn, man, my deepest sympathies. :cry

EDIT: Wolf Hagen would like me to pass on his condolonces.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 17:49 

Thanks BOS, and tell Wolf I said thank you. But ask him why he has abandoned WOTG. In time the pain will pass, but I just keep remembering her smile and some of our 'debates'.

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 18:03 
Corporal
Corporal

Deepest sympathies from me as well. At this moment someone very dear to me is on her deathbed as well, also from colon cancer. They discovered it way too late, only a good month ago, when everyone wondered why she was so tired all the time and was starting to neglect herself. An emergency operation of the tennis ball sized tumor and the removal of a piece of the colon didn't help. After some postoperative complications doctors didn't want to let her go through the trouble of chemo, especially because she was so weak. They let her go home to be in a familiar environment for the last few days.
When I visited her last Sunday for a final goodbye, she apologized to all of us in a very weak voice for not being able to serve us coffee as she had always done... She is one of the nicest people I have ever known, never angry, always hospitable to anyone and more a grandmother to me than my two real grandmothers...
I await the sad news now, it can't be long anymore before it comes. Then in our memories she can be back who she used to be, from a time before that thing in her belly that made her last weeks such a pain.

Once again, all my sympathies to you and your family. I know the pain...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 18:41 

Flamand, thank you for your words. It is at times like this that I see how false are the things we humans have devised to seperate us from our fellow man. For we are all the same species and anything designed to keep us sepeprate is false and not natural. :fr

I shall grieve for your loss when the lord calls her to him. I know a lot of folks think I may silly for believing, but it is my right. So please do not deride and make fun of me for my words. You all have the right to believe or not believe, please grant me the same courtesy.

For too many times have I been derided as being a 'fool' for holding this 'superstition'. I think most here would agree I am neither a fool or superstitious. For as some may crow I can't pove god exists, well by the same token, they can not prove he does not.

Thorgrimm

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 19:01 
Corporal
Corporal

Thank you for the thought, because the kind thought is what matters to me...

Whether God exists or not is of no importance. What is important is what He is to you... :w

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 22:00 
Corporal
Corporal

*Removes beret* Sorry to hear that Sug'ah. Very sorry indeed. I remember when my Daddy died and it felt hard, still feels hard to this day. :cry

Hope you pull through and get your story done, if not for yourself, but for your sis.

:bio Naomi :bio

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 22:09 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

I figured as much you had good reason for leaving, and well I can't begin to imagine your grief. As always you have good reasons for disappearing, and well i figured you were in Iowa or tending to something important.

As for Wolf, he didn't jump shit, just has exams.

And well been running things since you were gone. Some of the old crew has come back.

May the Turtle and the Man Jesus hold you in thought and mind. And aside from that, you and I need to palaver over the Way of the Marine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006 23:45 

Folks, thanks for the kind words, they do help. But fear not, she was a big fan of my stories and ever since I was a kid she used to tell me I had one hell of an imagination and should put it to use. Like always I did not listen and now she will only see the completion of the saga from heaven above.

So I shall carry on, to do otherwise would not be in my character, and I would hate to hear the nagging she would give me when I stand before the man also. :AH

I am just glad she got to read the final draft of book one before she passed on. I hope you folks do not mind, but I am going to intro a new character in tribute to my sis. I know Geraldine was into drugs and everything that goes with it, but she did have a mind. She graduated with honors from Pomona high school, with a 3.9 average. Then she made the mistake of going to UC at Berkley. Anybody who knows their history of the 60's will know of that insidious campus outside Berkley California. When she did her studies took a nose dive as she began to get into the drug culture prevelant there.

The mind was there, only she chose a destructive path in life, and now must answer for her choices. Free Will can and will be a bitch. So I am going to make a character based on what I think my sis would have been like if she had not made the choice to start down that dark path. A very intelligent and observant person.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2006 09:10 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Yeah, Life does take odd turns and twists. And I suppose Gunny's world is filled with second chances and alternate time lines where things could have gone better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Mar 2006 11:12 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Location: Vault-13, stuck on the 4th Floor that doesn't exist
Sorry to hear about your loss, Thorgrimm. Sad, sad indeed. I hope you finish your tale, as the wishes of the Dead must be respected. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2006 17:26 
Corporal
Corporal

I just got news that my relative died a couple of hours ago. From what I heard she drifted away quietly, surrounded by her husband and children.
I hope she'll find the peace she deserves after these last few weeks... :cry

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2006 17:32 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Sorry to hear that Flemand. My condolences. :cry

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2006 18:11 

Flamand, You have my condolences and my sympathy. Even though we do not know each other, please give your family my sincerest heartfelt sympathy. :fr Because as you well know, I know their pain.

Thorgrimm

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2006 18:15 
Corporal
Corporal

Thanks guys... :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2006 21:57 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Sorry to hear Flamand. Loss of family and loved ones a tough bullet to bite. Our thoughts are with you, comrade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2006 00:51 
Private

Sorry for this late post.

I think BOS was talking about another Wolf, Rama.

In any case I too offer my condolences. The exact same thing happened to me just last year where I didnt get to be with my grandmother on her deathbed when she was looking for me (I was the favorite).

I will say a prayer for your sister too. Posting-wise i'll be back next week just as soon as I finish my finals. Good luck everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2006 08:51 
Corporal
Corporal

HOLY SHIT! WOLF!

Sorry to hear about your loss Flamand.

And of course, Thor, you have my sympath in your loss. I remember when my Grand Daddy passed away two years ago; that was a real sad moment. He was always my fave and he always had such cool stories to tell me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2006 09:57 

@Wolf, yeah I was speaking of Wolf Hagen. And thanks for the kind words. Whenever you can get back to posting is cool my friend.

@RR, thank you for the words. All these words have helped me deal with her being gone. But I do know, as long as I remember her, she will never be truly gone.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400