The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 10:27

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good to be back
PostPosted: 14 Jan 2007 23:48 
Corporal
Corporal

Its been awhile since I yacked around this site. since I went home, went on leave and then checked in with my current unit... VMFA-314 The Black Knights I've been airframing out here in Miramar for the last 6 months and the least I can say is that its a kick ass job and I'm glad to have it. Even though I'm a relative boot at the job.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2007 14:42 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Wolf, glad to see you back. Gonna have to use that Squadron when the Gunny reactivates Marine Air. :w :bs

Cheers, Thorgrimm

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Mar 2007 08:42 
Corporal
Corporal

Back yet again. I've got my beats of a computer working (it can run things with maxed settings like butter) and I have my own damn net connection so I can stop by whenever I want!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Mar 2007 11:46 

Look forward to you dropping in more often. :bs

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2007 22:50 
Corporal
Corporal

I'm going to. Its been real busy lately. But I've managed to finish my T2K story on paper, I just need to edit/type it (I kinda edit as I type and then edit again when I finish) I'll see how much I've progressed and post up from where I left off....

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Mar 2007 23:36 

wolfblade wrote:
I'm going to. Its been real busy lately. But I've managed to finish my T2K story on paper, I just need to edit/type it (I kinda edit as I type and then edit again when I finish) I'll see how much I've progressed and post up from where I left off....

I look forward to it. been doing a lot of writing on my Space Romans. Seems that is where my muse is at these days. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007 00:19 
Corporal
Corporal

My muse wanders around at her own will... Sometimes she'll stick to writing, other times to gaming, and sometimes to painting (models).

Stupid fickle Muse...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007 10:18 

wolfblade wrote:
My muse wanders around at her own will... Sometimes she'll stick to writing, other times to gaming, and sometimes to painting (models).

Stupid fickle Muse...

Lol, yeah I heard that. But at the same time we are slaves to that Witchy Woman. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007 05:41 
Sergeant
Sergeant

yeh. mostly my muse is flat out getting me to run my arse off. Ran four miles today after a full gym session (which i start with a 2 mile 10 minute row). was kinda impressed with myself until i threw up.

anyway, i've got my fitness test tomorrow, which should be a breeze (beep test to level 6.... less than 900m in a bit over 5 minutes)

Wave your arms and shout."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2007 08:03 

Benno the Mad wrote:
yeh. mostly my muse is flat out getting me to run my arse off. Ran four miles today after a full gym session (which i start with a 2 mile 10 minute row). was kinda impressed with myself until i threw up.

anyway, i've got my fitness test tomorrow, which should be a breeze (beep test to level 6.... less than 900m in a bit over 5 minutes)

Lol, quite a few times I heaved my cookies in the Corps myself. :bs Sounds like you will ace that physical dude, good luck. :AH

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007 04:25 
Sergeant
Sergeant

well, i just succesfully completed it. It was easier than i thought it would be - i didnt even break a fucking sweat.

and they expect someone who can just do the bare minimum (which, because of public liability as we havent signed the "we-own-you" paper yet, is all we're allowed to do) to be able to run 2.4km in 12 minutes, 15 pushups and 45 situps on the first day they get to recruit training.... thats just stupid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007 08:01 
Corporal
Corporal

Hey same for the Marines to get in: 2.4km in 14:30, 2 pullups, 45 crunches

To stay alive in boot camp and pass a PFT: 4.8km in 28:00 or less, 3 pullups, 55 crunches. And during Boot Lord help the Recruit thats at the bare minimum believe me I know, I sit at 5 pullups, above passing, but not too great since 20 gives max points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007 10:04 

wolfblade wrote:
Hey same for the Marines to get in: 2.4km in 14:30, 2 pullups, 45 crunches

To stay alive in boot camp and pass a PFT: 4.8km in 28:00 or less, 3 pullups, 55 crunches. And during Boot Lord help the Recruit thats at the bare minimum believe me I know, I sit at 5 pullups, above passing, but not too great since 20 gives max points.

Damn, they lowered the bar that much in the PFT? :as Hell when I was in boot you HAD to do a minimum of 10 pullups and 60 Situps, not crunches, but honest to god situps in two minutes. And the minimum would NOT get you enough points to pass the PFT. To pass, you had to finish the run in 20 minutes, 15 pullups and 80 situps in two minutes to pass. And that was the minimum needed to pass.

When I took my final PFT to graduate I did the run in 18 minutes, 28 pullups and 89 situps. :bs

@Benno, congrats dude, I think you will find that you finally sign that 'we own you' paper it will get considerably harder. :w

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2007 20:06 
Sergeant
Sergeant

shit i thought it'd be harder for the marines, seeing as your'e soldiers and not namby-pamby mechanics like i'm going to be, because i can do that 2.4km run in <14 minutes, 7 chin ups and 60 situps.

@thor - you're a machine.

also, i may have to do this again, because while my recruiter says the shuttle run is to level 6.1, the web site says 6.5 and the brochure says 6.0.... and the Reserves Captain who was in charge of it was wanting me to do it to level 10 (which is what the guys going for direct entry special forces have to do). That's propably the last time i can say "what? you're nuts" to a captain and get away with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007 07:22 

Benno, nah not a machine, just considered the 'communist private' of the platoon. :w We 'communist privates' HAD to join every other Marine who got into trouble in their extra PT. :bs So I was one of the folks who was in the best shape in the platoon. :ac

'Tis a funny story how I became Third Battalion, India Company, Platoon 3017's commie private, I may share it sometime. :gl

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007 08:22 
Corporal
Corporal

We had the "Posse" because they were some constant screw ups. We all payed for them when they goofed. But at the end in 3rd phase (when it was apparent that we were trying to help them, all but one, who made himself hated) they became the "Posse" and any time someone was getting some on the Quarterdeck they yell for the Posse to come and join. I got my share of IT, pretty much anything I got as an individual I deserved, but I wasn't a target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Mar 2007 15:26 

What happened with me was when we got our first company insepction Captain Duncan, I Co. CO, he was a southerner so had a deep drawl. Well the private next to me, a Private Huppman, was fat, and I do mean FAT, not chubby.

We were standing at attention when Captain Duncan stepped in front of Huppman and began to speak. "Boy, you tryin ta grow a set of tits?" His southern drawl made it even funnier. I was busting a gut trying not to laugh. he continued, "Y'all want me to buy you a bra?" Man I was turning red-faced from trying to not laugh.

Needless to say, my senior drill instructor, Staff Sergeant Brown, had noticed me by now and the look he gave me was indictive of what would happen if I began laughing. The proverbial 'if looks could kill.'

Captain Duncan then turned and stepped in front of me. Well, you guessed it, I let out one hell of a deep belly laugh, I was laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

Captain Duncan immediately let into me, "Boy was I talkin ta you?" His southern drawl just made it even more funnier to this seventeen year-old snot nosed punk. I laughed harder and replied, "No sir."

He replied Then what tha hell are you lauging for?"

Well, being just off the block and wet behind the ears I replied, "It was damned funny Captain." I know, I know, I REALLY fucked up by calling him Captain, but you have to remember, first inspection and had done nothing so far but get scalped and clothing issue.

Captain Duncan then calmy turned to Staff Sergeant Brown and said, "Is this the way you train Marines Staff Sergeant, to be mouthy and talkative?"

Staff Sergeant Brown turned red-faced replied, No sir, I will make sure that recruit learns proper discipline and courtesy." The look on his face told me I was in for a hell of a time. :ad

To make a long story short, Captain Duncan left and then it was my turn. By the ned of that night I had cramps so bad in my legs that it took three recruits and the duty DI to get the fist sized knots out of my muscles.

After that every time somebody else got in trouble and had to do extra PT SSGT Brown would say, "Communist Private?"

I would run up and reply "Sir, Communist Private reporting as ordered, Sir!"

He would then say, Assume the Position." And then I would get ready for the extra PT.

Needless to say, I was the most fit person in that platoon.

All this came about when SSGT Brown called me into his DI Hut and told me, "Dickinson, I am going to break you and make sure you never finish Boot Camp."

At the time I was pissed, not knowing him then like I do now, I thought he was serious, So I asked permission to speak freely, and when he granted it all I said was, "you're full of shit, sir." All through out Boot I took everything he could throw at me, and just smiled and asked for more.

Of course there were times I passed out and had to be revived, but I never quit or gave in.

The funny thing was he told me he was impressed by my willingness to speak my mind and was not brow-beaten by either the Captain or him.

Damn glad he did, it taught me a LOT about myself I did not even know was there, yet he knew from that first inspection, he knew.

So in a way, being the Communist Private prepared me for my future :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Last edited by Þórgrímr on 21 Feb 2009 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Mar 2007 19:16 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Well I am still in the Grinder, unlike Kenn who finished his training, Ol Private Toulon is fighting to finish Infantry school. But like ol Kenn, I don't quit and I just use my good humor to get through it. By time all is said and done, I should be a PT stud!!!!

Welcome back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Apr 2007 00:47 
Sergeant
Sergeant

i got tripped over playing soccer lastnight. Got this huge bruise on my foot, so i can barely walk.

it looks a bit like Jesus. Maybe i can sell my foot on eBay for a couple hundred grand. Or maybe i'll just keep my foot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2007 14:23 
Corporal
Corporal

Got to stop hopping in and out like this. its annoying even me!