The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 06:54

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Marine Quote of the Day
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007 19:12 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Zed and I were chatting on MSN and he suggested I start a thread like this, so here it is; Marine quote of the day. I will try and post one per day. :bs

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Last edited by Þórgrímr on 30 Jun 2007 19:14, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jun 2007 19:13 

I have only two men out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold.

1stLt. Clifton B. Cates, USMC in Belleau Wood, 19 July 1918

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Jul 2007 22:05 

Why in hell can't the Army do it if the Marines can. They are the same kind of men; why can't they be like Marines.

Gen. John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, USA; 12 February 1918

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Jul 2007 07:37 

The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!

Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2007 14:17 

We have two companies of Marines running rampant all over the northern half of this island, and three Army regiments pinned down in the southwestern corner, doing nothing. What the hell is going on?

Gen. John W. Vessey Jr., USA, Chairman of the the Joint Chiefs of Staff during the assault on Grenada, 1983

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Jul 2007 07:26 

They told (us) to open up the Embassy, or "we'll blow you away." And then they looked up and saw the Marines on the roof with these really big guns, and they said in Somali, "Igaralli ahow," which means "Excuse me, I didn't mean it, my mistake".

Karen Aquilar, in the U.S. Embassy; Mogadishu, Somalia, 1991

Best Wishes on this fourth day of July in the year of our Lord 2007 Anno Domini. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007 08:47 

The man who will go where his colors will go, without asking, who will fight a phantom foe in a jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to Democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. His pride is his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face, and his obedience is to his orders. As a legionary, he held the gates of civilization for the classical world... in the modern era he has been called United States Marine.

Lieutenant Colonel T.R. Fehrenbach, US Army in "This Kind of War"

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007 10:58 

Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it was some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB's I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and , generally speaking, of the United States Marines I've come in contact with, are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet.

An Anonymous Canadian Citizen

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007 08:41 

This was the first time that the Marines of the two nations had fought side by side since the defence of the Peking Legations in 1900. Let it be said that the admiration of all ranks of 41 Commando for their brothers in arms was and is unbounded. They fought like tigers and their morale and esprit de corps is second to none.

Lt Col. D.B. Drysdale, Commanding 41 Commando, Chosin Reservoir, on the 1st Marine Division

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Jul 2007 08:47 

There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.

Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 09 Jul 2007 11:21 

The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. Lord, how they could fight!

MGen. Frank E. Lowe, USA; Korea, 26 January 1952

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2007 16:50 

For all of those that have son's or daughter's at bootcamp let me pass on what I found. Let me give you a little back ground first. When my son left home he had no motivation, he was lazy, slobby, no pride, no self worth. This is the boy that got off the bus March 18th at Parris Island.

The man that I met on Thursday for parents day is AWESOME. There is no way I can describe to you all the difference. He looks different, he walks different, he talks different, he has such a sense of bearing and pride all I could do was look at him in awe.

Oh yes, the training is hard, what he went through is unimaginable to any one that has not been there. They are definitely taught to be Warriors. Let me tell you the surprise of what else they are taught. My Marine son has better values, better morals, better manners than any one I know. It is so much more than Yes Sir, Yes Mam...so much more. He cares about how he looks, he cares about what he does, and its not a boastful, bad ass thing. He is a true gentleman.

I saw patience, and a calmness in him that I have never seen. I could never express my gratitude enough to the Marine Corps for what they have given my son. I know this, I have an 11 year old Devil pup still at home. When the time comes for his turn if I had to I would take him kicking and screaming all the way. Although I'm sure that will not happen. The hero worship I see in my younger sons eyes for his Marine brother tells me I will have two Marines in the family, and I will be one very proud mother.

"Cybil", Mother of a Marine writing to the myMarine Group

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Oct 2007 11:15 

Marines know how to use their bayonets. Army bayonets may as well be paper-weights.

Navy Times; November 1994

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Oct 2007 12:24 

The raising of that flag on Suribachi means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years.

James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy; 23 February 1945
(the flag-raising on Iwo Jima had been immortalized in a photograph by Associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal)

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Oct 2007 08:59 

I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!

General of the Armies Douglas MacArthur; Korea, 21 September 1950

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Oct 2007 10:49 

Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.

Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2007 10:07 

Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat.

RAdm. "Jay" R. Stark, USN; 10 November 1995

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Oct 2007 09:43 

For over 221 years our Corps has done two things for this great Nation. We make Marines, and we win battles.

Gen. Charles C. Krulak, USMC (CMC); 5 May 1997

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Oct 2007 09:57 

Come on, you sons of bitches! Do you want to live forever?

GySgt. Daniel J. "Dan" Daly, USMC
near Lucy-`le-Bocage as he led the 5th Marines' attack into Belleau Wood, 6 June 1918

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Oct 2007 09:21 

Gone to Florida to fight the Indians. Will be back when the war is over.

Colonel Commandant Archibald Henderson, USMC in a note pinned to his office door, 1836

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2007 08:31 

"Don't you forget that you're First Marines! Not all the communists in Hell can overrun you!"

Col. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC
Rallying his First Marine Regiment near Chosin Reservoir, Korea, December 1950

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2007 09:27 

"Marines die, that's what we're here for. But the Marine Corps lives forever. And that means YOU live forever."

The mythical GySgt. Hartman, USMC; portrayed by GySgt. R. Lee Ermey, a Marine Corps Drill Instructor using his own choice of words in Full Metal Jacket, 1987

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007 08:34 

You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole! Follow me!

Capt. Henry P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 January 1943

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 Oct 2007 09:20 

Freedom is not free, but the U.S. Marine Corps will pay most of your share.

Ned Dolan

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 Oct 2007 09:08 

"If I were King, I'd close Army entry training and send all future infantry grunts to the Marines. The Corps still produces trained and disciplined soldiers who still know how to fight and make it on a killing field."

Col David Hackworth, US Army (Ret), One of America's most highly decorated soldiers.

Gunny's color #FF2400