The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 04:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hyperspace
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2008 19:49 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

There is an awful lot of work to do on this if we want to get the true feel and flavour of B5. My suggestion for this would be to use forts/airfields/paratrooper functions as a basis for simulating travel by Jumpgate. However there would need to be some changes.
First of all the graphics would definitely have to be changed. Who wants to see a fort floating in space?
Second we need to develope the way that the airfield function works. At present aircraft can rebase to any other fort or city cities don't have to have an airport unless you are moving ground units.
So what do we need.
1. All ships will be able to use Jumpgates to get into hyperspace.
2. There must be a Jumpgate at the destination. (If not see notes below)
3. Hyperspace travel is hazardous there will always be a small chance of a ship being lost.
4. Any ship equipped with Jump engines can enter or leave hyperspace anywhere it chooses. This would mean that large ships would need to have the abilities of both a fort and a paratrooper built into them (could be a problem). If it uses its own engines to enter and leave Hyperspace it loses the ability to attack at its destination.
5. Open borders agreements will enable use of another races Jumpgates but only for Non military units.
6. Military Alliance or Vassalage(if we use it) enables use of Jumpgates for military as well as civilian ships.
7. Simulating the actual travel in Hyperspace. Once the unit enters hyperspace it becomes subject to the possibility of a random event. A range for travelling in Hyperspace needs to be agreed on. My idea is as follows. An EA Hyperion Cruiser has 6 movement points it uses 2 points to move to a Jumpgate (as it needs to get to it's destination ready to fight) It uses the Jumpgate and can travel 40 squares for every movement point it still has left to use. In my example the Cruiser could travel up to 120 squares away Jump out of Hyperspace(just like a paratrooper) and use it's last movement point to attack with.
8. Rescue of units lost in Hyperspace. This would be limited to the same turn the unit is lost, so going back to the above example our EA Cruiser has managed to lose itself in Hyperspace. Any Race can attempt a rescue mission on the same turn a ship is lost. The rescue mission option should appear as an action button available only when a ship has been lost in Hyperspace. The rescue mission is launched by the EA player but unfortunately it fails. The Narn also launch a rescue mission for the EA Cruiser and they are successful. They can choose to return the ship, destroy the ship or examine the ship, each option having its own political ramifications
Other things to note when Travelling in Hyperspace - if there isn't a Jumpgate at the destination there will be a chance the ship is lost. Smaller ships will have a greater chance of being lost than large ships. In additon to this there should be a small chance of finding a previously undiscovered Jumpgate percentage chance would increase with the size of the ship. Alternatively if there is no Jumpgate at the destination the unit will automatically be moved to the nearest friendly system with a functioning Jumpgate but there will still be an increase in the chance of being lost and also increased loss of movement points.

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008 08:17 

I like the ideas you have there but I think its going to take a LOT of Python or SDK work to implement. Although, if we can get it to work it would enhance the B5 flavor immensely.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject: My Hyperspace idea
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008 19:24 
Private

OK, here are my thoughts on hyperspace:

When the Jump-gate tech has been researched the JUMP-GATE imrpovement can be built by workers, this jump-gate will act as a fort, allowing hyperspace-navigation-capable ships to paradroop (jump) to some squares away. Now, for a unit to paradroop from a fort, it is required (already tested) that the improvement has some culture(python).

When the Jump-Engine tech has been researched, ships with jump-engines will become available, but how to make this ships capable of making their own jump-points?, here is my algorithm:
1. A Jump-Engine equiped ship will BUILD a JUMP-POINT improvement.
2. When the JUMP-POINT improvement has been created we give its square some culture(python), allowing your own ships (and allied ones) to jump away same as with a JUMP-GATE improvement.
3. At the end of the turn-set (to allow allies to use your jump-point) or at the beginning of the next turnset, the JUMP-POINT improvement is removed (python).

A few notes on space travel:
We still need warp/jump lanes because of the trade routes, so, I propose that the jump lanes should be kept, but "renamed" as "hyperspace beacons", so they would allow for trade and ships to move through "hyperspace" (instead of using the airport approach).
Warp lanes we should keep aswell, but "renamed" to "space route", these will represent pre-hyperspace well defined space routes.

with these model we address the following problems:
- Trade routes
- Pre-hyperspace routes
- Jump Engine equipped ships
- 48 hours standard jump

The last point represents the fact that (acording to the series) some ships are required to jump out of hyperspace travel trough normal space and jump again. (The time when the ships are out of hyperspace is for example when the raiders attacked the civilian transports).
Military capital ships should have a bigger jump distance than other smaller or civilian ships.

The Jump-Point improvement built by ships should cost 0 so ships can (theoretically) jump on the same turn it is decided to create the jump-point, or set to a minimal cost so this would represent the time needed to gather the required power to form a jump-point (of course, this could lead to disable the ship that created the jump-point from jump).

I'm pretty positive that I can implement this model (even the python stuff), but will take time to implement.

O BTW, either way we choose to go, we need a "Jump Point" and a "Jump Gate" 3D model.

[...]
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Alfred Tennyson (Ulysses)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008 19:45 

Premier Valle, I like your ideas, so I would say go with those. I have both a jump point opening and a Jumpgate model. So we have that covered. And they are not very big in poly count, I checked. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008 20:10 
Private

Þórgrímr wrote:
I have both a jump point opening and a Jumpgate model. So we have that covered. And they are not very big in poly count, I checked. :bs

Nice :s

:Su <<-- This is funny! :mrgreen:

[...]
Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are,--
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
- Alfred Tennyson (Ulysses)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2008 20:42 

Premier Valle wrote:
Nice :s

:Su <<-- This is funny! :mrgreen:

Lol, yeah I try to maintain a lot of variety in my acatars and smileys. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject: Further Thoughts
PostPosted: 20 May 2008 00:41 
Private

If the Jump gate network was originally built by the first ones is there a way to include in the map generation the construction of a route network that links 50% to 75% of the worlds but is hidden until Hyperspace Theory is researched?