The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 18 Mar 2024 21:08

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007 16:43 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

wolfblade wrote:
Hrrrp... Forgot that aspect of it.... Was more worried about max range... hmm I'll research it and then adjust fire as necessary!

EDIT: According to FM 7-7J Appendix B 65m Minimum

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... j/Appb.htm

That a lot of Info about Bradleys that would have been helpful at the *beginning* of the god damn story. (Cookie if you catch the reference)

It may be 'able' to hit at that range, but I have never heard of one arming under 100 meters. Minimum range safety stuff. Hmmm.

Lol, yeah research is real important to mil sci fi writing. :bs Hell I spend more time doing research than I do actual writing. All in the name of accuracy.

Nope, I can't say as I know the reference, so no cookie for me. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2007 17:35 
Corporal
Corporal

Yup. But its the Guide you can get in Fallout 2 that maxes your skills and stats and gives you a ton of XP. http://www.nma-fallout.com/content.php? ... tems-books

Its at the bottom there... forgot how to get it though... Somehow at the end of the game I think at the Cat's Paw, after you defeat Horrigan, hence the joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2007 23:16 
Corporal
Corporal

Sadly the next parts of the story are on my desktop back home but I have continued finishing it off. I'll post it when I get back...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2007 23:40 

wolfblade wrote:
Sadly the next parts of the story are on my desktop back home but I have continued finishing it off. I'll post it when I get back...

And I will be waiting for it to bub. :w Tis a good story and I wish to read more. When fo you rotate back to Miramar?

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Oct 2007 03:01 
Corporal
Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
wolfblade wrote:

And I will be waiting for it to bub. :w Tis a good story and I wish to read more. When fo you rotate back to Miramar?

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Dunno. Should be here in about 3 months or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008 02:56 
Corporal
Corporal

The conclusions of Almost There beginning soon!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008 23:03 
Corporal
Corporal

Chapter Four
July 15, 2000
1415 Hours
Lask, Poland

It'd been a hard night; the 256th had begun to pull back as they were struck in the south flank by an unknown element of truly mechanized armored forces. The Americans had taken their toll, inflicting moderate casualties as they pulled back. Archer learned his counterpart's name was Sergeant Grant, not that it mattered, and his squad had died holding the line, buying time for the rest of his platoon and Archer's section to escape. The Soviets didn't want to chase them after too long, fearing they would take heavy vehicle losses as they advanced. Not really a worthwhile trade, vehicles for depleting the Americans of their anti-tank missiles. The 256th would hold here at Lask while 4-12 rode back to Sieradz to ensure there was a bridge over the Warta when the rest of the brigade arrived. Fuel was in short supply and Archer made sure to hoard some extra fuel and stay with the rest of the brigade's vehicles. At least they had a section of M1s with them. Though Archer and Ayers had only two TOW missiles between the both of them. Some resupply Archer thought to himself. It would only be a matter of time until the Soviets hit, and it wouldn't be pretty...

July 16, 2000
0900 Hours
Lask, Poland

Archer was right, a column of vehicles hit the northeastern flank and Archer's area had been probed twice. They knew an attack was coming. Intelligence admitted a fault, either they had guessed wrong at the beginning (very likely), or the Soviets had moved units deep in the USSR forward to Poland (just as likely, probably a combination of both). Archer had his M3 parked on a corner street looking out into the area beyond; there wasn't much time, manpower, or equipment to dig in vehicles. The Abrams tanks were parked behind him at a crossroads, ready to be called out. Infantry was dug in on the outskirts of the town. Archer's plan was to simply have the infantry hold the enemy while he and the M1s pulled out and caught the enemy in an exposed flank. Then retreat into the town and ambush them as they came through. It would be a lot of shooting and running. If only the gas would last, certainly not for the M1s they drank the stuff like water. Archer heard the wail and impact of incoming artillery rounds. The fourth today, the Soviets had a few batteries of artillery, of that Archer was sure. But most of the shells fell on the streets of Lask and not on his forces on the outskirts. The infantry prepared and stood to in their fighting holes. Vehicles started to round a forested hill, their only real avenue of approach. Archer was stunned for a moment; at least a company of tanks of all makes, BMPs and BTRs started to roll into view followed by cavalry coming out of the woods. Archer could see T-80 tanks in the mix, wearing reactive plating.
"Smith take a bead on one of those 72s." Archer switched channels, "Hammer get rolling." A minute later he could feel the rumble of the M1s' turbines over his idling engine.
"In range sir." Smith said coolly, her eye glued to the sight.
"Fire." A TOW missile streaked from the launcher and impacted a T-72 on the forward hull. The T-72 rolled to a stop and the crew bailed. A .50 chattered from the infantry line and cut them down. The tanks opened fire on the buildings on the outskirts, probably to flush Archer's vehicles out into the open. "Summers, relocate!" There was going to be no fixing or flanking occurring. The Soviets had brought too many men and equipment. Now it was a gritty delaying action, the kind where Soldiers were going to die. Iron Maiden lurched as Summers reversed it up the road they'd been on. A nearby roar signified Ayer's firing his one TOW. Archer rolled into a new position and Smith started bursting rounds at the enemy vehicles.

Ayers saw the M1s roll by and stop behind the infantry and engage the Soviet tanks at range, one of their few advantages. "Maiden we're running low on gas." a tank commander chimed over the radio. They opened up at a decent range and the two "sabot" rounds knocked a T-80 out of commission. "Fire!" Ayers yelled and his TOW streaked out and impacted the mantle of a T-72. "Relocate!"

25mm rounds impacted a BTR and punched holes in it, the other troop carriers disgorged their infantry as the cavalry dismounted and turned their shaken horses to shaky handlers. RPGs began to answer the LAWs and Dragons fired by the Americans. The M1s were making a dent in the enemy forces: a T-72 and another T-80 were knocked out, but Archer knew they were running low on rounds. Mortar rounds began to fall on the American infantry positions. A direct hit destroyed the M2 emplacement and the .50 and its crew were thrown about the sandbags. Cannon rounds began to ricochet and ring off of the M1s' hull plating. One stopped firing. The other destroyed a T-72. "Maiden my El-Tee is down. I've got a few rounds left."
"Hold, we may have them." Archer answered. He saw another set of dust clouds coming around the corner of the hill. Not more, it can't be. He thought. "Ammo?" he snapped.
"Around thirty rounds sir." Smith replied. The gun chattered again.

Ayers reached his new position the same time a 125mm round did. It struck the Bradley's left track at an angle and exploded, shearing the tracks off, "Reverse! Bastards got us in his sights!" The Bradley reversed and bit into its track and rotated slowly.
"Tracks are out Sarge!" Contreras voiced, Ayers all ready knew.
"BAIL OUT!" he screamed, he popped his hatch and pulled himself out. He helped Sergeant Hiram out of her hatch when an explosion threw them both through the air and onto the ground.

"What the hell?" Lieutenant Archer asked as a large explosion rocked his vehicle, "Maiden 2, Maiden 2 come in!" he demanded over the radio.

Sergeant Ayers rolled over and found Sergeant Hiram nearby. He rolled her over and saw blood trickling from her mouth, her eyes glazed over. Her legs were a mess, smoke coming from the smoldering coveralls. He felt for a pulse and found one, it was weak but there. A hand grabbed his shoulder. "Let’s go Sarge! WE gotta get outta here!" Fillmore cried.
"Help me with her!" he said, "What about Contreras and Stone?" he added as a quick afterthought.
"Gone Sarge!"

The approaching vehicles began to join the battle: A platoon of T-64s and more BTRs. The enemy infantry was trying to flank the American positions which had fought hard despite their losses. They were pinned and more mortar rounds fell on top of them. The remaining M1 blew the turret off of a closing T-72 and began chattering its coaxial machinegun at the enemy infantry; cutting down six before three round impacts left the tank dead. The enemy was going to take this sector too. Archer realized that this was it. They would have to run or die with no ammo. His radio answered for him, "All units, the enemy has overran the northwestern sectors, all units will make an orderly withdrawal towards Sieradz, begin to-" the radio paused for a moment "We're being overrun, get out! Ge-" and it went silent. Brigade HQ was overrun; Archer's men were defending this village for no reason.
"Big Dog get your boys outta there! Mount 'em up we're leaving!" he called on the radio. He doubted the infantry could get out, "Carpenter open the ramp!" He began to call for artillery smoke and began to plot coordinates for the smoke rounds when Smith cried out,
"Sir that’s it! The infantry is overrun, we gotta get out! I'm low on 7.62!"
"Shit, we need to leave! Close the ramp." The M3 lurched and began to travel down the road when artillery rounds impacted the buildings behind them. Most likely the Soviets were capitalizing on their win and making sure no US units would be able to escape. They headed west when a BMP pulled into the intersection in front of them.
"Reverse!" It fired and the 30mm round glanced off of the turret. The ringing nearly deafened the whole crew. The M3 reversed and turned into a side street. As they turned back west a T-64 fired from behind and hit buildings on the other end of the street. "Get us out of here!" Archer cried.
"Where sir?" Summers yelled back.
"For shit's sake through a damn house!"
"Bu-"
"Just fuckin' do it!" The M3 plowed full speed into a brick house as another shell screamed by, narrowly missing them. The M3 emerged from the house into a field on the edge of the town. "Punch it." The M3 took of as fast as Summers could push it, passing other American vehicles in flight, mostly Humvees while some unlucky men could be seen streaming into the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Feb 2008 23:13 

Damn, that was a good read dude. makes me want to pull out my Twilight 2000 RPG stuff and run a game again. :bs

I eagerly await the next installment. :br

One question though, if these were the Cat C and Cat D divisions from the inner Soviet MD's, wouldn't they be T-55's and T-62's instead of Cat A and Cat B T-72 and T-80's?

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008 22:34 
Corporal
Corporal

Þórgrímr wrote:
Damn, that was a good read dude. makes me want to pull out my Twilight 2000 RPG stuff and run a game again. :bs

I eagerly await the next installment. :br

One question though, if these were the Cat C and Cat D divisions from the inner Soviet MD's, wouldn't they be T-55's and T-62's instead of Cat A and Cat B T-72 and T-80's?

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Grr ruining my artistic license! besides I think I remember reading that at the start of this nice big offensive they pooled their remaining moderns, but let me check up on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008 22:57 
Corporal
Corporal

20TH TANK DIVISION
A prewar Category I division, the 20th fought well against
the invasion of East Germany and has continued to give a good
account of itself throughout the struggle in Europe. Withdrawn
to the Ukraine in 1999 to become part of the 4th Guards Tank
Army, the 20th TD reentered Poland in early 2000.
Subordination: 4th Guards Tank Army
Current Location: Central Poland
Manpower: 1000
Tanks: 0

Im pretty sure those Manpower and tank numbers are post 5th ID because

July 15th: In the morning, the 1st brigade began its withdrawal but was hit by the Soviet 20th Tank division while moving across the open ground to Uniejow. By afternoon, over a dozen soviet tanks were burning and the 20th Tank division was thrown back badly mauled...

Guess I got things out of timeline.... but that was before I had the Soviet AFV guide :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Feb 2008 23:11 

wolfblade wrote:
20TH TANK DIVISION
A prewar Category I division, the 20th fought well against
the invasion of East Germany and has continued to give a good
account of itself throughout the struggle in Europe. Withdrawn
to the Ukraine in 1999 to become part of the 4th Guards Tank
Army, the 20th TD reentered Poland in early 2000.
Subordination: 4th Guards Tank Army
Current Location: Central Poland
Manpower: 1000
Tanks: 0

Im pretty sure those Manpower and tank numbers are post 5th ID because

July 15th: In the morning, the 1st brigade began its withdrawal but was hit by the Soviet 20th Tank division while moving across the open ground to Uniejow. By afternoon, over a dozen soviet tanks were burning and the 20th Tank division was thrown back badly mauled...

Guess I got things out of timeline.... but that was before I had the Soviet AFV guide :(

Lol, sorry I was not trying to ruin your artistic license. :bs But I had thought you meant the Cat C and D divisions the Sovs kept in strategic reserve. Not a Cat A div pulled back for refit. So if that was the 20th, you were correct in your vehicle assignments.

Only reason I asked was I did a huge honkin, the entire Warsaw Pact, OOB for the Wasted World of the Gunny's Final War forum. Made me wonder.

But since it was a Cat A Div you were correct and I stand corrected. :AH

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2008 01:05 
Corporal
Corporal

Well I assume at this point in the Twilight War most of their "A" Class vehicles are in a very small number (as in 2-3) so I wrote mostly old tanks with a few newer in the mix... But as the post Death of the 5th numbers state, they lose all their tanks...