The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 14:43

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 Post subject: Re: DSA program
PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013 11:48 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Another thing, I think we are going to need to expand the number of HW slots. You have room for 6 slots of HW now. IIRC, there are more than six sci packs all by themselves. Then you have to add in things like EVA suits, LEM's, all sorts of goodies. :bs

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013 20:30 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Done!

Þórgrímr wrote:
It is looking good bud!

One question though, can you change Rocket To MLB? That way we can avoid confusion later on down the road. Since with expansion there can be all sorts of MLBs that are not rockets, per say. :bs

Cheers, Thor

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013 20:33 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

what do you think we need for the largest mission? It would likely be a moon mission right?

We can expand the screen and add up to another 10 HW slots easily. The most involved part of it will be alterations within the DB. Still doable within a few hours though!

Þórgrímr wrote:
Another thing, I think we are going to need to expand the number of HW slots. You have room for 6 slots of HW now. IIRC, there are more than six sci packs all by themselves. Then you have to add in things like EVA suits, LEM's, all sorts of goodies. :bs

Cheers, Thor

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013 20:42 

haegan2007 wrote:
what do you think we need for the largest mission? It would likely be a moon mission right?

We can expand the screen and add up to another 10 HW slots easily. The most involved part of it will be alterations within the DB. Still doable within a few hours though!

To be honest, maxxed out IP missions would need the most HW, but Lunar Missions will require a bit of HW too. I think 10 added slots should be good for now. But cannot make any promises with expansions. :w :bs

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013 20:56 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Okay, I've added ten additional HW for the mission defaults. Now I need to modify code on two screens to take advantage of this.

We have a GM screen that we are using to setup the default mission profiles that the player sees. Then we have another screen that the player uses to modify and name their own missions. Both of these screens are going to have code added and other code modified to use the extra HW slots that have been added.

I will not post another screen shot until the players screen is modified. The GM screens are kinda messy!

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013 20:59 

haegan2007 wrote:
Okay, I've added ten additional HW for the mission defaults. Now I need to modify code on two screens to take advantage of this.

We have a GM screen that we are using to setup the default mission profiles that the player sees. Then we have another screen that the player uses to modify and name their own missions. Both of these screens are going to have code added and other code modified to use the extra HW slots that have been added.

I will not post another screen shot until the players screen is modified. The GM screens are kinda messy!

You will get it done. I have faith in ya. :bs

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2013 21:57 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

i have added the text boxes, but now that i am looking at it we may want to use drop downs and just list everything in them. That will simplify creating the default missions.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2013 12:17 

haegan2007 wrote:
i have added the text boxes, but now that i am looking at it we may want to use drop downs and just list everything in them. That will simplify creating the default missions.

Sounds good to me bud.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013 22:35 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Okay, this is after adding the additional controls. It's rather messy I know, but we have not cleaned it up yet. That is the next post.

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 39.08 KiB | Viewed 25693 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013 22:40 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

This is the current version of the screen. It does not annoy me nearly as much, but i think still needs work. Maybe lighten the text box background so it does not have the huge empty space showing in the middle right?

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 104.61 KiB | Viewed 25692 times ]

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013 22:43 

haegan2007 wrote:
This is the current version of the screen. It does not annoy me nearly as much, but i think still needs work. Maybe lighten the text box background so it does not have the huge empty space showing in the middle right?

I say move the space agency logo into the big open space and not so close to the HW list. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2013 22:45 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Because the equipment list can get long, I have the text box ending just above the logo pic box.

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 12:18 

haegan2007 wrote:
Because the equipment list can get long, I have the text box ending just above the logo pic box.

Then you are gonna have to figure a way to move the logo box into the blank space. :w :bs

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 20:35 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

I made the back ground of the text box for the required equipment list a lighter color. It effectively masks the empty space that was showing before.

Attachments:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png [ 34.42 KiB | Viewed 25688 times ]

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013 20:40 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Okay, now the behind the scenes programming happens. I still need to tap out the equipment lists for the missions and then assign them accordingly. With over 100 missions available, this may take some time... :cry

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013 01:11 

haegan2007 wrote:
I made the back ground of the text box for the required equipment list a lighter color. It effectively masks the empty space that was showing before.

This will work. :bs

And yes, there is a LOT of things that went into creating those missions. You should be happy. I cut out a LOT of missions that I felt could be better used in the second game. :w :bs

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013 19:16 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Okay, a lot of DB data entry today. I need to find a way to show that a mission requires 2 MLB and 2 sets of Astronauts. Fortunately, I have unused records left over so I just need a way to programatically show this.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013 17:07 

Ok guys, Haegan and I have had a long chat, and we have come to a couple of conclusions.

1.) We are going to be shutting down work on the DSA! program and any testing for the game. The ONLY reason we began the program was due to a suggestion and the others liking the idea.

The reason we came to this conclusion is that I have been back for over 2 months now and not one tester has asked about restarting the test. The other reason is that for the last month Haegan has been posting heavily, at my suggestion, in this thread, asking for input. The ONLY response given was for a link to fonts. Not one opinion or suggestion was given.

2.) The rules for playtesting have now changed. All access to the BTS! Playtesting forum has been removed from all members. To regain access to that forum a member MUST contribute to any discussion going on about the game in the open forum. This contribution must consist of more than one or two posts per month. I will determine if a member has contributed enough to to regain access to the playtesting forum. To keep your access a member MUST contribute regularly to any discussion about the game.

The reason we came to this conclusion is mainly that I am tired of begging for input from the testers. If you wish to lurk, that's fine, it adds to the view count. But if you wish to playtest a game, you have to prove to me that you are willing to make the effort required.

No longer will I accept excuses. Too many times I have been told by a person they will help, get any items they can, and then the person disappears. Too many times I have been given one excuse after another as to why a person cannot do this or that. If you have the time to visit this board as a lurker, you damn well have the time to contribute. Instead of excuses I would prefer the truth. If you cannot do it, say so. I do not bite. Not much that is. :w

Haegan and I will be going back to working on BTS!. If you wish to playtest that game when the time comes, then contribute to the discussion. Haegan and I began that game together, we can happily continue working on it without help. We would love help, but the time for begging is over. If you wish to contribute, and playtest the game, GREAT! I look forward to your efforts. However, if you do not, well, I will miss any input you could have provided. Either way, work on BTS! is beginning.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013 18:56 
Corporal
Corporal

Ok Thor ... I'll bite.

I love the BTS universe ... all ways have .... all ways will. But I really think that you need to concentrate on one thing at a time. While DSA was a good idea, it started out as BTS lite but turned into something different and (well ... in my opinion) lost the feel of its "father" game.
At the moment, I am extremly busy at work. I am getting into the Barracks at 6am and driving an hour and a half to Bendigo just to work in some backwards ww2esque vehicle production plant that reaches 40oC by mid day and then drive another hour and a half to get back to the barracks by 5pm. By the time I get home , I have to listen to my wife winge about our new house not being ready to occupy. I spend about 30 min or so on the Net and I do reguarly check in to see what is happening.
As for input into the game rules .... I work better seeing the processes in action than straight "paper" reviews.
I would like to keep being a part of this but I cannot devote the time you are asking. When we finish our first prototype next month , then I will be back in my office and have more time to look over things during lunch times. Until then, I will continue to drop in and see how things are going.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013 19:09 

Gav wrote:
Ok Thor ... I'll bite.

I love the BTS universe ... all ways have .... all ways will. But I really think that you need to concentrate on one thing at a time. While DSA was a good idea, it started out as BTS lite but turned into something different and (well ... in my opinion) lost the feel of its "father" game.
At the moment, I am extremly busy at work. I am getting into the Barracks at 6am and driving an hour and a half to Bendigo just to work in some backwards ww2esque vehicle production plant that reaches 40oC by mid day and then drive another hour and a half to get back to the barracks by 5pm. By the time I get home , I have to listen to my wife winge about our new house not being ready to occupy. I spend about 30 min or so on the Net and I do reguarly check in to see what is happening.
As for input into the game rules .... I work better seeing the processes in action than straight "paper" reviews.
I would like to keep being a part of this but I cannot devote the time you are asking. When we finish our first prototype next month , then I will be back in my office and have more time to look over things during lunch times. Until then, I will continue to drop in and see how things are going.

You are correct bud. DSA is a whole new critter. It came about due to reasons we do not need to rehash here. Suffice it to say, yes, it was a mistake. I admit that. But if I had not had Haegan begin the Program we probably could have finished a test by now.

You misunderstand what I mean by contribute. What I mean is, is that if you have the time to visit WoTG, you have time to read, and comment on, any rules suggestions, or ideas that are presented in the forum. I am not asking you to dedicate hours to the board, just to comment on what is posted. Haegan and i have some good ideas for the game, but we would also like input from the potential players. THIS is the contribution I am talking about.

Testing will not begin for a while yet. All I am asking for is that when you visit WoTG normally, contribute to any discussion taking place. For example, I bet you have ideas or suggestions for the new training rules. Share them with us.

All I ask is this, do not lurk, contribute. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013 19:13 
Corporal
Corporal

Thor ,

The problem I'm having is that I do want to spend hours doing this. I'll input what I can until crap at work and home settles and I will be a lot more active..... and by the way, why doesn't Gunny Pubs have a facebook page ? might be a good way of drawing in some new blood.

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013 19:19 
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

That is all we ask. But I do have some thoughts for you and the play testers to ponder.

What is it that you like about BTS? What was is that you did not like? Were there rules that you thought to be awkward? You are by far the most experienced player of BTS here, and that is counting myself.

Was there something that frustrated? Explanations that were unclear? Not enough fish on the BBQ?

Your thought may not even occur to you the day you read the post. It may happen days later.

Ask Ken how often I come back weeks later and offer suggestions that have caused him to rewrite stuff!

PostPosted: 26 Jan 2013 19:28 

Gav wrote:
Thor ,

The problem I'm having is that I do want to spend hours doing this. I'll input what I can until crap at work and home settles and I will be a lot more active..... and by the way, why doesn't Gunny Pubs have a facebook page ? might be a good way of drawing in some new blood.

I understand you are busy bud. And Haegan is right, contribute a snippet here, a snippet there. Ask Haegan how many time a small word here, sentence there has inspired me. :bs It does not take much with me. Heck bud you have contributed some great stuff with small posts. Like your question about motorizing of Leg Bns. That brougnt about 4 different Caps. :AH

We do have a FB page bud. But it is as dead as this place. :cry

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013 19:34 
Corporal
Corporal

I've been busy the past whole week between finals, cadets and getting ready for a big concert in Idaho, though I see you guys have been pretty busy too.

Anyways, if you need a 2nd opinion about stuff or a bit of research I'd be happy to help while I can, just give me the call.

PostPosted: 30 Jan 2013 19:47 

MrAnderson wrote:
I've been busy the past whole week between finals, cadets and getting ready for a big concert in Idaho, though I see you guys have been pretty busy too.

Anyways, if you need a 2nd opinion about stuff or a bit of research I'd be happy to help while I can, just give me the call.

Any input you can provide my friend is very welcome! Read what is in the BTS! forum and contribute. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 125 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5