It is currently 28 Mar 2024 18:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 18:25 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

Req Wrote:
Quote:
I was going to say it's easier to tell you which to avoid, but you've already downloaded the largest.

Req what problems did you have with Awaken? The only thing I had problems with was the weight of the items in the mod. FAR too heavy for what the items were supposed to be.

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 18:35 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

For me you can't see most citizens in the vault or slavers, and some others. The weight was an issue with me, but one thing I really don't like is the lack of direction.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 19:17 

BOS, lack of direction is called non-linearity. :w Something Fallout was famous for.

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 20:05 
Company Sergeant Major
Company Sergeant Major

Thorgrimm wrote:
Req what problems did you have with Awaken? The only thing I had problems with was the weight of the items in the mod. FAR too heavy for what the items were supposed to be.

Cheers, Thor
Everything, worse mod I've played except for the ROE demo.

Too big, over 50% of the maps were ripped from the main game, not that I have anything against ripping from the main game. If you've got 75% done and need a few filler maps, that's one thing but most of the main areas in Awaken are reused maps while the few original maps are mainly used for fillers. That'd be okay if you were modding the default campaign, but for an original work, well doesn't sit right with me.

The download had too much in it, a lot of the gui, sound, and other changes could of been released seperately as an optional mod. I found the rpg cursors etc annoying, they weren't designed for FOT and I would of prefered not to waste my download allowance on them. Same goes for the movies, and world map. The cam file is mainly determined by the dimensions of the image used, if they had used a smaller map they could of saved 10-15 megs at least. If instead of ripping the intro movie and endsequences from the rpgs they had edited them into smaller slideshows they could of reduced the filesize considerably. Basically there's about 120meg of bumpf that could of been left out and it would of still been playable. I wasn't able to download it for ages until I got broadband, it really pissed me off to see how much it could of been pruned by.

The design was poorly implemented, as well as some errors in triggers and entities that crash the game in places, having the first area you are sent to so tough makes it hard to roleplay, and roleplaying was what they said they were trying to do. You end up power gaming just to be able to visit the first 'area' of your quest. The NPCs were poorly done, I don't think all npcs/recruits should be brilliant at what they do, but to have two melee/unarmed characters (the tribal and the dog) who can't wear armour meant you were carrying two pieces of deadwood around.

The weapon weights were stupid, you could still strip virtually all the maps of all the stuff available. Selling it all was a different matter, I ended up trading miniguns for stimpaks etc because there wasn't anything worth buying or anyone to make change. A lot more elegant way of handicapping players would be to change the carry weights of the armours, given the extra damage of the weapons it would balance things out as you wouldn't last long without armour.

And for all it's size there's only a couple of hours of gameplay, some of the couple of meg standalone missions have lasted longer.

Thorgrimm wrote:
BOS, lack of direction is called non-linearity. :w Something Fallout was famous for.

Cheers, Thor
Fallout was non-linear, Awaken is directionless, big difference.

Awaken isn'y really all that non-linear, sure you can wander around and discover areas, but most of them require you to be a certain level, or have so and so skill maxed out. So you end up doing the easy areas first and that's not really all that different to FOT's giving you the choice of Macomb or Preoria. Unlike Fallout were you could stumble upon the Military base or Cathedral and complete the game quickly as they do in the speed runs.

Last edited by requiem_for_a_starfury on 24 Feb 2006 05:46, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 20:12 

Good reasons. :gl But as for me, at the time I had found Awaken I had not knwon of any other mods since I avoid DAC like the plague. :gl

By the time I did find other missions I had grown fond of it.

Maybe you can help me figure out what I am doing wrong. In the deathclaw missions, I can't get them to continue once I finish the first one, like a proper campaign. I can only get them to load one at a time.

Cheers Thorgrimm

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 20:17 

I had to split the topic, as now I have asked for help with a mod. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 20:41 
Company Sergeant Major
Company Sergeant Major

Thorgrimm wrote:
Good reasons. :gl But as for me, at the time I had found Awaken I had not knwon of any other mods since I avoid DAC like the plague. :gl

By the time I did find other missions I had grown fond of it.
Each to their own, perhaps I wouldn't hate it so much if I hadn't of had to wait 2 years before I could download it, but then again I could of gone on and on with the nitpicking.

Thorgrimm wrote:
Maybe you can help me figure out what I am doing wrong. In the deathclaw missions, I can't get them to continue once I finish the first one, like a proper campaign. I can only get them to load one at a time.
Yeah that's right, it's series of single maps rather than a proper campaign, MV liked making you use his characters and also he had problems with campaign files (and he didn't seem to get the path set up either) so he gave up making actual campaigns and instead released a couple of series of single maps with an interconnected storyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2006 03:08 

Ah ok, thanks for the info dude. I thought it was something I was messing up. :AH

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2006 19:25 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

The mod seems to be getting progressively worse, deleting characters I've already met or spoken with. Most importantly, the general in the SOH base. His circle is still there on my radar, but he's gone. :AM

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2006 23:41 

Never had that problem myself. :as

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2006 23:47 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

It sux, because I just got back from a mission and now I've got nowhere to go, because I had to kill BOS soldiers.

I can't believe I killed them...I feel so dirty now. The BOS was always who I team up with, no matter what. Oh well, that's what they get for not hiring me! :twisted:

On a related note, I think I'm missing some worldmap locations as well. I'd chalk this all up to a faulty download, were it not for the fact I had downloaded it before and it was still screwed up... :AC

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Jan 2006 01:17 
Company Sergeant Major
Company Sergeant Major

I didn't side with the SOH, and can't be bothered to play through again as a baddy, but in FOT entities tend to be deactivated once they're done with to save processing power or to unclutter a map. Or sometimes it's your actions that make people disappear. It was one of the things I didn't like as since FOT hasn't got a speech tree you could 'accept' a quest you didn't want just by clicking on someone, to hear what they had to say, too many times. Therefore cutting off other parts of the game, if you'd already been to the SOH you couldn't join the BOS etc (IIRC).

Since Endocore's clone system or JJ's yes/no sprites were available before Awaken came out you'd of thought they'd of attempted some sort of options in the speech, especially since they were trying to make it more Fallouty. Or maybe just too much was lost in translation?

As for the world map, a lot of the areas can be found be wandering around, but there's also a lot that are only opened by talking to people, doing quests etc. It could be you've just had an unlucky game and not talked to the right people or done the right things in the right order.