The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 03:58

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006 13:58 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

About changing the faces on the moods, since the content face (and every other one currently) is taken from the game, would it be possible to get the others from it too?

In keeping it more Falloutey, would it be possible to have the Vats and Military base cause a nuclear explosion and be destroyed when taken?

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006 14:13 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

BOS about the Vats and Mil base, wish I could bud but nukes only go off in a nuke plant disaster or a unit nuke blowing up. So not possible.

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006 15:05 
Corporal
Corporal

are the "Vats and Mil Base" Objects or cities? IF they are Objects, they could be set as Immovable Units on the Map with a Nuclear Explosion set as the Death so the Nuke Explosion would take place. As for the attack and Defense, no animation would have to be used but could be combined with the Vats or Mil Base to give the appearance of separate things like a fighting unit poping out to Defend. Thorgrimm, remember we discussed this type thing. These would be Preplaced "units" on the map that would look the same as they do now... but actually rather than a stationary object, they would be an immovable units as a way of gaining what is wanted from these things on the map and method of getting around the Editor. So what are the "Vats and Mil Base" ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006 15:08 

They are city names of some of the Unity's cities. In the RPG's they were places where the main hero fought the Master and the Unity.

So to put it in a nutshell, they are Unity cities. :bs

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Apr 2006 15:50 
Corporal
Corporal

Ah ha, well then Nukes are not a possibility for them if used as a normal city by the AI and if Captured by another CIV and used as a normal city.

You might want to give some thought to Structures that could be placed on the map that could be destroyed. They can be animated and placed as immobile units. So things like an extra CIV could be added and have the city combined with one Fighting Unit that could defend the city when attacked. The Defending unit is animated with the city so in reality, the defending Unit is the City itself with a defending unit animated with it for the Flc. The Defending Unit would not leave the city and onmly one could be animated with the city. The animation for the Death would show the Defending Unit Fall as normal, then the City or Structure is shown deterioating or Blowing up etc...so looks separate. Since thise would be preplaced on the map, things like Special Resources can be placed first then covered with these new structures or cities. When the Structure or city falls, the Resource is then revealed for use. And BTY, the AI will not bother such units unless at war with who the unit belong to...When at War, the AI will attack such "units" so this opens possibilities for things such as the AI attacking Monuments, Great Structures, etc... these preplaced structures of any kind would not have to have a unit animated with them but could instead have another action they do for the attack animation such as a light going on and part of the structure moving or doing something etc...many possibilities. The only thing necessary for these type units is that they be Preplaced and belong to a specific CIV which can also be a different CIV than exists in the Game or actually belong to any CIV in the game either way or in combinations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 01:49 
Corporal
Corporal

Hi Greg

I was thinking of your immobile pre-placed defender unit last night when playing.

I thought that they could be used to 'protect' resources.

That way when certain strategic resources are strived for ... it is important to be aware of certain danger ... could be fun :bs

Play Testing Progress

I am well into the second age ... date is 2245 AD
I have built virtually all the city improvements available (exept kennels) ... and the early cities are growing well and on WEALTH production.

I still have a problem with canines being auto generated every 15 turns
... I am finding that at this stage I am disbanding them to help build Gallows in far flung cities.
... I would be disbanding them anyway since they have a unit support cost.
Thought ... I leaning again towards having canines be built instead of spawned - or removing support cost.

I really like the methane cars :bl

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 07:17 
Corporal
Corporal

Exactly Werner...All a Matter of What Thing and what Unit should Defend it...unless the Thing defends itself in some way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 07:46 
Corporal
Corporal

upto our fearless leader

But what about some sort of invisible unit (or something looking like a goody hut) ... when a unit 'pops' it ... ka Bang !!! ... nuclear explosiion.

symbolic of unstable ordinance lying out there abandonded, in the wastelands ... dangerous, unstable, on hair triggers ... and if disturbed or mishandled .... BANG !!! :bl

Or just some sort of natural effect ... lightning or something (I have spells effects in the WH mod) which could work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 10:38 

Werner, Greg forgot to tell you we already discussed that same idea. :w And I had approved it. Just waiting on Greg to finish the Crawling Brain to begin implementing that idea. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 11:07 
Corporal
Corporal

Ha shows we are on the same page <despartetely looking for a salute smilie> :bs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 11:20 

yup, great minds think alike. :w

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 11:24 

Oh Werner, I also need you to make a tester's report in the reports thread. Usually three a week will do. Then you can put any screenies in the screenies thread. All this is in the section that anybody can see. :AH

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 11:28 
Corporal
Corporal

I'll write a report on the new patch only ... give me a couple days to finish testing this particular game ... I'm determined to get through to the end on Enclave.

So the report thread is the one NOT in the Tester section?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 11:42 

Yup, I want something the non testers can read about progress and that stuff is still going on for the mod. By the way, you want to make the announcement on the CFC thread stating this site is where all future Fallout mod stuff will take place?

That way folks will see that you are a tester contributing to the mod. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 11:54 
Corporal
Corporal

OK ... I'll double up the reports and post on CFC as well :AH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 17:48 
Corporal
Corporal

Busy, Busy, Busy.....never a dull moment for you guys these days it seems. :gl I have a Run flc and palette finished for the Crawling Brain and looked at it in the game to check the look, size, action, etc... I am not sure if it is what you want. The Run animation must be made manually a frame at a time because the so called "Walk Designer" in Poser will only do Bipeds such as people. I scaled down the Brain and since I used the Skreech body segments, it is about the same size as the Skreech unit and that is rather large. I have a .gif preview made of the Run but it is much slower than in game so the Run is actually faster than the .gif shows. I do not see where I could upload a preview here...or is that possible?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 18:13 

Greg, Email it to me and I will post it after putting it on the FTP. Unfortunately, this is just a PHPbb board with no portal or ULing ability. :cry

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 18:50 
Corporal
Corporal

Thorgrimm, Will do...E-Mailing it now. Please let me know thoughts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2006 21:10 

Rob, Werner, when you two test a unit keep a note as to what sounds work and don't work. Then make a new thread for that information. Appreciate it.

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 00:24 
Corporal
Corporal

Rob and Werner, IF either of you wants to check all sounds for the units and make a list, I will edite the sounds and correct them. IF you want to do this, it would be faster to make a "test.biq" from the Fall Out.biq so you could build and see all game units one pre move to check how the sounds are in the game. Not only if they work but if they need adjusting in any way such as loudness or if in your opinion the sounds could be changed to be better.
Think I already started how to make what I call a "Test.biq" but I will restate incase I did not.

Open the Fall Out.biq in the Editor
go through all Units and remove all costs, tech requirements and resources from all of them and give each Unit to one CIV. The other CIVs can also have them but make sure you set one CIV to have all units. and yes, because all units will be free and no tehcs or resources needed, the other CIVs will also have them this way but you are not playing a game...just checking units for sounds. The AI will Build the Best Units so this means that you can certainly test the Death sounds for most units lol. Anyway...I think you get what I am saying here.

Save this new .bic by clicking the File button and "save as" (name how you want...I just name it Test.biq and save it.

Play a game as the CIV you gave all units to and you will be able to build any unit from the start of the game and in one move because no cost and you will not need any techs or resources to build any unit.

Guess we each work differently so do what you want and that works for you. IF you simply choose to write down units that need sounds corrections as you test the game...fine. Ultimately, all units and all of their sounds will have to be checked to make sure all are set ok and work well...so my way of doing this would be directly and focused in order to varify all. This will be one of the Major Tasks that will certainly further the complition of the Game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 00:26 
Corporal
Corporal

Sorry for any confusion...if any about .bic and .biq. CIV III uses .bic and Conquest uses .biq
here for this purpose we use .biq

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 04:31 
Corporal
Corporal

Good idea :mrgreen:

Can I suggest that we demarcate the various elements.

Greg may be best suited to handle the unit issues.
BOS and I will playtest the shit out of the various Civs and supply feedback.

I have completed the spreadsheet ... and e-mailed to greg and Ken, sorry BOS if you want it please contact me with your e-mail contact.

I will also concentrate on text and pedia ... also working on tech tree issues if that is OK.

Thor ... any ideas to add to this?

Man this is a good thing :bl

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 06:48 
Corporal
Corporal

Werner, Your Enthusiasm is more than Contageous and I like the "energy "you bring to what would otherwise be a more difficult endeavor. Good Ideas Mate! Always best to know what we are doing individually and collectively what we all are doing in a Team effort. In other words...Goals and knowing the small and big "picture" of how we each fit in and make it all happen in a Great way. As always in any team or group effort, it must be organized and understood through communication so each member of the group knows what is going on and what tasks are to be done. This is where Our "fearless Leader" comes in with sound judgement and organizational skills to collectively use the team in the best way to benefit the Over All goal we all have. No one is more important dispite each having their own areas of expertise they enjoy more. Even though I am only recently envolved in this Fall Out MOD, I understand and see the Great Thnigs that You, Rob and Ken can do...IF we all communicate well and stay together, this MOD will be one of the Best ..if not the BEST. When completed, it will serve as a Free work of art and effort to bring enjoyment to great numbers of people...that is a very good thing. :bs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 07:09 
Corporal
Corporal

Difficulty Level Update

Sent this to a CFC friend who is an engineer who designs and maintains Nuclear power plants.

Quote:
Hi Tubby

Hope everything is good for you ... I'm getting there slowly.

Reason for writing is that I've been invited to playtest and develop a Civ3 mod based on a game called Fallout.

Post nuclear scenario ... mutants, survivors and those that stayed safe in vaults.

I'm thinking that it may be cool to change the names of the game's difficulty settings ... just for fluff :)

The game has a good look with all new terrain graphics and a very cool soundtrack ... really has a dark atmosphere.

Therefore since you are involved in the Nuclear industry, is there a code or nomenclature for radiation.

... from benign to hazzardous to instant death??

Maybe rad count or a colour code?

Something similar to biological toxicity?

Anyway help would be appreciated ... thanks.

Werner :D

Reply from Tubby Rower
Quote:

Well I can answer some questions....

the radiation symbol is yellow and magenta. This symbol :nuke: is actually upside down. and the black should be magenta. Like the one here ... http://www.umich.edu/~radinfo/introduction/symbols.htm

dose = amount of radiation absorbed by an object
RAD = dose to inanimate objects like machinery and such
REM = unit of measuring radiation to a person with known side effects

in the US, 5 REM is the max any radiation worker can legally receive in 1 year. It's far below any side effects that are known. I actually get more radiation from flying once than I have received in a year. Doesn't that sound crazy?

I can ask some of the radiation protection guys what some good numbers are for counts that would be expected (or a good guess) from a fallout scenario. around here the boundries of the some of the mildly contaminated stuff is ~ 100 milliRem per hour (mRem/hr). I'll get back with you on more detailed breakdown of the different thresholds that we have. One of them says "Grave Danger" and if you cross that rope into that area you really will die. Maybe not immediately but you will die within a week. Luckily we don't have any of those signs around here :)

Casey

I replied
Quote:

Thanks mate ... look forward to further reply ... I think these little things really add to the fell a mod has :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 07:27 
Corporal
Corporal

Good Thinking and communication Werner. I can "see" that you are thinking of novel ways to add improvements to this game...there are no big things, just many smaller things that make up what is seen as "Big Things". When all of the collective little things are Great, the "Big Thing" will be the same. I like the Idea of changing the names for the Levels. That would add another nice touch.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next