The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 13:49

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Report Thread
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2005 16:32 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

This thread is for the testers to make their reports.

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject: Robo-War!
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2005 21:08 
Private

Well I have continued my Game on Monarch, where I am at war with the Unity. To Recap, The Unity are #1 in the world rankings, they knocked out hte BoS without raising an eyebrow. As soon as I had a good number of BoT infantry, I declared war, after a successful first few turns, combat has evolved into a slugfest... Combat occurs, whichever side wins is too weakened to do anythign except run and hide and recover, or get blown up on the next attack. After several turns of futily assaulting their cities with fresh units (7 bar strength) I've tried a more conservative approach of trying to lure their units out of their cities, and attacking them and then running away. I'm trying to make use of my superior movement factor. I feel like I am making progress in the war again, but things are going slow.

As an Aside, The Tech tree is an interesting concept in... well, the same thing all the time. It seems like the strategy for the BoT player is to research towards the next big military unit as fast as possible, and the other techs seem to be there to get in the way of that goal. I currently cannot fathom any reason to research anything besdies pre-reqs for better units before something else. Now granted the BoT race is supposed to be one of hte militaristic races, but there SHOULD be some reason to not go for the next shiny new toy, even if the majority of the time that shiny new toy will be the way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2005 20:56 

T-Man, there will eventually be a reason for the techs, just haven't the gfx for the ideas you folks have given. But it will come. :bs

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject: BoT Dominance!
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2005 23:42 
Private

Continuing my Game on Monarch Level...

The Stalemate with the Unity ended when i decided to actually use some strategy, instead of mindlessly throwing units against their cities across the entire front of the war. With token forces holding the line, I amassed my remaining BoT infantry, in an attempt to "Blitzkrieg" To the city site with Mutatated Corn, then I would mass produce Flail Tanks and roll over them easily...

Well it turns out I didn't need the flail tanks... As soon as I breached their first line of defense on the way to the Mutated Corn, Vault City and the New Reno Mobs decided the time was right to join the war. As My forces pressed deeper and deeper into the heart of UnityLand, the resistance became less and less. Eventually the combines forces of our 3 nations conquered all of the "normal" Unity Territory. What they have left is the land that they captured when they conquered the BoS, and not much of that.

Soon after the war with the Unity ended, NRM decided to try their luck with my new and improved army. After a brief war, in which i destroyed every unit that I could lay my bullets into, I conquered about 5 cities, and they decided that peace was better than destruction.

AND I'm still waiting for the city near the Mutated Corn to expand its city Radius and bring the Corn into the Empire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 16:55 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

The BOS Civilization has been crushed under the bootheel of the mighty NCR!

I'm on turn 130 of my game on Monarch difficulty, and the BOS has been crushed. I really needed thier metal armor :twisted:

The Enclave and Unity are playing active roles in landgrabbing and diplomacy, and the Family has set up an embassy in my town. I absolutely love the Ranger unit, and my conquest of BOS wouldn't have been possible without it. The Mob seems to just kinda be the bitch of the other groups though, I'll observe them more carefully from here on in to see why and/or how.

The game still crashes when I try to look at the description of the PA unit in Milstores Reclamation, so I don't even know its full title. Other than that things have been running pretty smoothly, and my tech is progressing relatively rapidly. Nothing else to report.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2006 18:54 
Corporal
Corporal

Hi BOS ... could you report in greater detail the crash error in the Bug Thread in the Tester's private forum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2006 02:02 
Corporal
Corporal

Following the orders from up high ... I will report on my experience with the Game ... as this is my first official report as a game tester (I have been quite active in the locked forum with reports) I am a little unsure as to what is required of me in this 'public' report.

I assume that I am to be honest and therefore I shall ... I started with the pre-patch version playing The Enclave.

An interesting experience as I could see the entire map and watch all the civs and barbarians (just discovered they are called Critters) go about their survival strategies.

First impression was that this mod has really captured the atmosphere of a post nuclear holocast world.

The terrain and music really created this environment to play it ... Brilliant!

I began testing various options and checked out all screens and game action ... found some serious crash issues and some major things have been fixed ... hence the patch.

Started testing again once the patch was installed and the random crash seems to have been fixed ... and am still with The Enclave. :AH

Things that Irk me

Pedia
The pedia really requires some work, but ignoring that the fluff descriptions can be added later, I would still require that at least the basic information is relayed.
ie. The Effects of the various buildings ... Rediscover Trade was a big one as it is a Wonder and although I ended up building it ... I am still unsure what exactly it does.

Advisor Screens
The only major issues I have is with the advisor screens.

They are extremely frustrating to use due to the many dark areas which completely obscure important information ... one cannot read black font on a black background ... this is something that seriously needs to be addressed ... even, and this is only my humble opinion, if they have to be completely redesigned :cry

At the moment some are virtually useless to get information from :sad

Right Click to Pedia Entry Crash
There is a niggling crash to desktop when you right-click a building that has been produced while in the City Screen.

This is being addressed as I write and hopefully will be fixed with next patch as I believe it has something to do with individual building graphics required for each era.

Tech Tree
This is something that everyone knows about ... the tech boxes are not alligned with the screen and in some cases are off screen ... I end up having to use the advisor when he asks he what to research next.

All is not ALL Doom and Gloom
However all these problems will be addressed I'm sure ... I have faith in this :bs

I enjoy the game play and lost much sleep in this testing process.

So don't get the wrong impression, I have just highlighted the bigger problems, those that must be addressed before a public beta is released.

Overall it is going to be a fantastic gaming experience.

Current Activity

I am spreadsheeting the rules and other information from the .biq file ... once done it will assist greatly the tweeking and trouble shooting required to fine tune the units and game play issues.

Saying that ... I better get back to it :ac

Also if you have any specific questions please do not hesitate to ask :AH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2006 22:39 
Private

well from waht reports are in it looks like all that is left is really the minor kinks and bugs. Cheers you guys from the screens it looks like you have done good. :AH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 04:21 
Corporal
Corporal

Well a bit more than that ... the crash bugs are a biggy ... and there is also the advisor screen which really need work ... however rest assured the testing is going well :AH

If you are interested, you could always request to join the testing team . :bs

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Apr 2006 11:48 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Almost every other Civ has been taken. The Enclave and Mutants are the only ones left at this point. The Enclave because I can't mount an invasion until I have some transport vehicles to assault the platform, and the Mutants because they're the largest, and I've had some errors with them before the patch, so I wanted to get everyone else out of the way first....wow, that was a frigggin huge sentence. Anyhoo, here's my map for public consumption, to show what happens when you oppose NCR!

That error I encountered seems to have been nothing more than a standard Civ error, nothing to worry about from that. Nothing further to report.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Apr 2006 17:27 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

The war with the Unity has begun. They tried to get me to give them some technology, but I refused, and that got their panties in a bunch. I only had a couple steam tanks at the time, so I had to use them to stop the offensive. Both tanks were lost, as well as a lot of my Rangers and other units. I've held them outside my cities though, and even managed to take a couple of thiers.

The Enclave have decided to sit this one out, and I'm a bit worried about their tech advancement, as I'll be well and truly screwed if they get good tech before me. They were a bit behind me when the war started, and I haven't been checking on them much since.

The muties are laying siege to a couple of my cities, I may update this with a screenshot soon, so stay tuned :bs

EDIT: I've pushed them out of my turf with waves of units, costly but effective. The hills in this screenshot (occupied by a pair of Rangers) have been changing hands about once every three turns, and that's making it hard to gain any progress on this front. The muties are leaving a backdoor open, so I'm expecting to push in from the Mob's old turf.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2006 12:24 
Corporal
Corporal

Enclave ... 2297 AD

Cities ... see Map ... I have expanded most of NW corner ... now i am settling on ruins formed in the Vaulters vs. Unity war.

I play a peacefull and build style ... only attack those that attack me type of game.

Every city, that cannot build a city improvement is on Wealth. Every now and then I build a number of Settlers and Workers to fill in gaps and expand my empire borders ... pollution is a problem ... and so it should be. :bs

Unfortunatley I cannot report what city improvemnets I have built as the City Screen is too dark to read, as is the Pedia ... and the crash to desktop issue happens when you right click on built improvements in City Screen.

I have built or am building every improvement in every city as soon as new tech is researched or traded ...

Note ... The tech screens have been fixed into readible format ... the next patch will incorporate.

Have much Luxes and am trading when I can.

Note ... maybe too many luxes around ???

Military is at least one Combat Armor Rifle per city and Deathclaws ... other units that are spawned are Canine and Raider Scout which is the first vehicle and can carry 1 foot unit.

Note ... I dislike having to pay maintenance for units spawned by buildings ... as I am getting near the stage of having to kill them off to help production in new cities :cry

ATM ... the canines are running around and cousing a nuisance by cutting roads in areas out of cultural border ... and this only because I dislike killing them off. They need sounds added.

I am awaiting the completion of a small wonder which will allow Hummers to be built.

Only one wonder built so far ... Rediscovery of Trade must have been a small wonder.

Finally the Histograph shows Power screen.

Bots are RIP sometime ago by Vaulters, and I killed the Reno Mobs :bs

Note ... Hopefully the Civ names can be shortened to allow one line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2006 08:44 
Corporal
Corporal

Enclave - 2312 AD

My first Hummer ... spawned by a small wonder the Vehicle Rehap Facility every 25 turns.

Attack - 5
Defence - 5
Movement - 3
Anti-Air Defence - 2
Capacity - 3 units

This baby will be very usefull for quick response :ac

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2006 09:56 
Corporal
Corporal

I have found a great use for all the canine units that are spawned by Kennels.

1. I move them to cities and then disband to speed up builds.

2. I have developed a Cheek Mutt Strategy

The Vaulters and [s]Entity[/s] Unity are at war ... taking and retaking each others far flung cities.

I have canines running around and destroying improvements that are outside the city borders ... :gl

It really keeps their workers busy ... and I also get front seat watching their war :w

Last edited by fe3333au on 18 Apr 2006 11:09, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2006 10:31 

Werner, great reports, but it is the UNITY. :w

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2006 11:41 
Corporal
Corporal

Am I the only one that thinks those mines look like someone dropped his briefcase? :bs I think you can find nicer mines in CFC, no? :w

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2006 12:07 

Flamand, Yeah I know they suk, but Reddog disappeared before doing the terrain buildings, so I used as a placholder gfx a building that was created for a goody hut. As for the mines at CFC, I have not seen any that had the right 'feel' for Fallout. I do have a building gfx I wanted to use, but alas gfx creation is not my forte. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Apr 2006 12:39 
Corporal
Corporal

Email it to me and I'll see what I can do... :w

Post subject:
PostPosted: 19 Apr 2006 23:04 
Private

fe3333au wrote:
Well a bit more than that ... the crash bugs are a biggy ... and there is also the advisor screen which really need work ... however rest assured the testing is going well :AH

If you are interested, you could always request to join the testing team . :bs

Will as soon as I can but the boss says I have to prove I will stick around first

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2006 14:03 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

This is a short report, because I haven't been able to do a whole lot yet. In my new game as NCR with the updates and such, the barbarians are giving me a hell of a time to do anything, I dare not even try to settle an area yet.

Bad luck cost me dearly early on, and I'm still paying for it now. Will update more when I've played more. :AH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2006 04:14 
Corporal
Corporal

Enclave

The new interface looks good and with some tweeking will be perfect.

Our fearless leader has decided to make things 'interesting' in a chinese sense :bs ... it is very very very dangerous ... Radscorps are everywhere ... very scary.

I too have had settlers and workers mark time in cities rather than risk getting eaten.

Clearing scorpion nests is essential.

I noticed that the New Reno Mobs have been affected early ... when I found them ... all their 5 workers were still huddled inside the city.

I bought them with technology ... it is now 2181 AD and they still only have one city ... I also decided to leave the surrounding scorpions undisturbed around them ... just so they have something to worry about :bl

The other civs I have discovered so far are growing nicely especially the Bots ... my canine is destroying any road he finds that is not within their city borders.

Vaulters are expanding slowly as are the Unity.

I must be very very very lucky because I have yet to get any scorpions hatched when I pop a goody hut ... I am into the second era because of all the tech I got from the huts ... also get gold and maps.

Couple of niggly bugs are being fixed as we test.

Looking good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2006 10:55 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

The Enclave is expansionist, so that really helps you when you reach a goody hut. I don't think I've ever gotten a hostile reaction playing with an expansionist civ.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2006 11:43 
Corporal
Corporal

That explains it ... I don't usually play expansionist civs ... was more a game play issue ... but now explained ... thanks :w

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2006 15:46 
Corporal
Corporal

I've been playing today and here are my remarks:

Enclave: playing as the Enclave with the installation as you suggested I had another mystery crash, but later in the game (2130 or so). I gaveup and played as the Vaults.

Strange:
* I had Embassies as soon as I could afford them, but only after the Radar tech I got a message that I could make embassies...
* The Science spending keeps jumping upwars, whil I want to keep it low. This is VERY annoying...
* The leather flamer seems rather cheap for such a powerful unit.
* The Ghouls, Mobsters and Brothaz cannot expand beyond 2-3cities because of all the scorpions. I took the Brothaz over without firing a shot because theydidn't have one single unit...Maybe a bit less critters?
* The Vaults have no barracks.
* I would hardly call "Bob's bits" an establishment worth generating culture... :w

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2006 10:38 

LOL, Jos, Bob's and such are not generating 'culture' per say, but it is to represent that in the wastes anything that increases trade increases interaction between cities. So it increases the 'cultural' rise of the civ. :AH

I do not know why the sci spending keeps jumping up, maybe the settings? But I have only known it to force it down when you try and spend more than your gov type allows.

Give me a suggestion for the cost of the Leather Flamer.

restart the Vaulters four more times, give them 100 turns and go check them out. I have seen that every once and a while. But most of the time, the AI expands slowly but surely.

Yup, they are civvies, not a military force. So they will have to wait. I plan on adding one for them in the second era. Still looking for a good Vaulter type of barrack. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400