The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 12:47

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: When did you first get your grubby hands on Fallout?
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 08:49 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

So folks, this is where we talk about how we all got acquainted with the greatest underdog RPG to date. Yes, I am talking about Fallout: A Post Nuclear RPG, the game that was created by those bright boys at Interplay before the Frogs over turned them.

"Hello, My name is Rama and I am a Fallout-Junkie."

*Hi, Rama.* (the crowdy says back.

"It all began some years back in the year 1996. Ah, that was a good year indeed, became better when I noticed this Taiwanese kid playing this odd, but interesting game over his computer. I looked in wonder, as this game really styruck a cord in me. It was Fallout, and man, when i had gotten a burned copy of the game, I couldn't say no ever again. It was so different... so wonderful. Ahh, yes, I spent many an hour playing Fallout. I eventually even purchased both copies in the Dual jewel case."

I have both games, and I also have Tactics, thanks to Thor.

Fallout is by far still one of my favourite role playing games, and to this day I still play.

FALLOUT RULES!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 12:26 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

After I played the GURPS Fallout demo, I KNEW I had to have that game when it came out. I never looked back. I have both the dos and win versions of Fallout. I also have FO2 and Tactics. :AH

Cheers, Thorgrimm

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 Jan 2006 15:29 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

To understand how I met Fallout one must first understand my early relationship with 3d isometric gaming. Early in my life, around 1996, I was playing Crusader No Remorse, and Crusader No Regret like there was no tomorrow. Eventual loss of those two games wracked me with grief. However, in 2000, my brother saw a game that looked similar in both visual quality and feel, and thought that I would like it. I was addicted to Fallout on December 25 of 2000, and never turned back.

(I was kind of confuzed at the beggining though, I couldn't access my inventory and was killed by radscorpians before I ever got to Shady Sands. Eventually I learned the time-honored tradition of running like a French soldier, but that was still some time off.)

Nowadays I spend a lot of my time with FO2 and Tactics. I'd LOVE to play FO1 again, but due to some odd thing going on, causing the screen to black a lot, I cannot. :cry I played FOPOS for just long enough to beat it, then chucked it right back at my friend who was stupid enough to buy it.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Jan 2006 07:35 
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

I played Fallout 1 in the year of Nineteen and nintynine. Rama had burned me a copy, and man I never ever looked back. I had later purchased Fallout 2 during my third year in high school, and yes, I played like there was no tomorrow.

And I have played Tactics (thanks to Thor and Rama).

:ac

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2006 00:37 
Private

I played Fallout 2 back in 1999, after a friend of mine lent it to me for a few weeks. Back then my PC was a piece of crap and barely ran the game, let alone the bugs that destroyed it (nearly).

Then a few years on I found myself of Fallout 1 and played that one through a few times and loved every second of it.

Then, after much searching I bought Fallout 2 off eBay and have never so much as looked at any other RPGs that beat Fallout's depth and variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Apr 2006 23:50 
Corporal
Corporal

*Points an accusing finger at Carib FMJ*

I blame Carib *ex-boy friend* for hooking me on Fallout 1. I started playing about two years ago and ever since then been hooked. I mean Fallout 2 is cool, but I rather Fallout 1, much grittier atomosphere.

Tactics is cool. Rama actually made a character after me, how sweet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2006 00:55 
Corporal
Corporal

I got my first dose of massive radiation back in 1998. Rama kepts prodding me to play and so I played. Man, did I love that game and the choices in it. probably the best RP ever made, and it was post apocalyptic.

Take that D&D and cram your 10d12+6 spear of Pottato up your end.

A pity Black Isle closed. I would have killed for Fallout 3 *snaps the safety off her Kimber* And I just might.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2006 11:12 

Yeah I actually was looking forward to FO3 from Ineptplay, but when the Frog closed Black Isle and canclled FO3 I knew I would never see another Fallout the way I like it. :AM

Cheers, Thor

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2006 13:53 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Really Thor? After FOPOS you trusted them? When I first played POS I went in positive, thinking along the lines of "They just don't like it because it's for the consoles. They don't like it cuz they didn't like Tactics. I loved Tactics, this should be fine." And as you can tell from the acronym I'm using, it was far from fine. I think it has a better chance with Bethsoft than it did with Interplay.

“For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'.”

"The only reason for being a professional writer is that you can't help it."

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."

www.shallowbay.com Best. Band. Ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2006 14:27 

BOS, you misunderstand, FO3 was cancelled so FO:POS could be finished and then released. I have seen the design docs for FO3 and like what they had in it. The Froggie thought he could sell POS to the console crowd.

I liked the screenies and other things released since then and think it would have been good.

Cheers, Thor

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 25 Oct 2006 16:08 
Private

first got my hands on it wen a friend hade me over there and let me get a lok ay it i immedatlly went out to buy the gam,e and was hooked from then there on and hooked to all rpg's for all time :ac

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007 00:13 
Private

I saw the box art of Fallout 2 on my brother's bookshelf(the big box) in 1999. It took me about a week to beat the temple of trials because I had no clue what I was doing, like "whatt the hell, this is a wall, not a door!!!11one" and the fact that I had to use my brother's comp. I finally found the cd and installed it in the other comp. I cruised through the temple of trials and started wandering the wastes. I didn't wonder til I hit San Fran, wait, this is FAllout 2, where's FAllout? Sure enough, there on my bro's bookshelf, hidden was the Fallout box, and somewhere on his desk, the Fallout cd.

Tactics is about the same way, since he bought it before I could.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2007 10:01 

Pip, I remember when you used to bash tactics on TRS, till we got in a discussion about it one time and you mentioned you had not played it yet. Then I told you to try it before bashing it. You liked it after trying it. :ac

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007 00:18 
Private

Þórgrímr wrote:
Pip, I remember when you used to bash tactics on TRS, till we got in a discussion about it one time and you mentioned you had not played it yet. Then I told you to try it before bashing it. You liked it after trying it. :ac

Old man memory must be better than mine, I don't recall. :gl

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007 09:16 

PIPBoy2000 wrote:
Old man memory must be better than mine, I don't recall. :gl

Yup, I do have quite a good memory, but I suspect that's not the case for your 'forgetting' of that detail. :w

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Oct 2007 08:44 
Corporal
Corporal

A loooooooooooong time ago a friend gave me his copy of Fallout 2 to try out, I had to fight my system to get it to work. Many a time it crashed trying to get into Vault City, but I finally got it working at normal levels and played the game waaaaaaaaaaay out of order, getting to Navarro long before I should have and missing some main points of the game. I've played it many times since, after picking up the Fallout Fallout2 bundle at wal-mart.