The World of The Gunny

The Wasted World of Gunnery Sergeant DeShane
It is currently 28 Mar 2024 05:01

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reason for my Absence
PostPosted: 15 May 2008 16:04 
Sergeant Major of the USMC

I don't know if anybody wondered, or even cared for that matter, where I had dissapeared to. Well, I took myself offline to finally get my head into the writing game and concentrate on actually writing and finishing a book. :bs So to that end I concentrated on nothing else for the last couple of weeks.

I will be posting what I have in the Roman fora since it is in my Roman Universe. Sorry to say to the Post Apoc fans, but Roma Aeterna has pulled at my heart since I was a kid. So I have decided to cease all writing, RPs and all, till I finish the first one called; A Test of Wills: The Time of Fire.

I really would like you folks to read it and comment, but truth be told, I do not expect any such action in that direction. :bs But thats ok, since I am not expecting any, any will be a good surprise. :w

So I hope you folks will read it and, if possible, give commentary. :AH

But this is a project I NEED to finish, and for the time being, all else is secondary. :ad When I complete TToF I will give the Romans a break and return to the Gunny Saga.

Thanks for listening to my ramblings. :gl

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."
The Gunny: Stand of the 300

Si vis pacem, para bellum
If you want peace, prepare for war

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 May 2008 19:48 
Corporal
Corporal

Lol problem man, just glad you are spending the time wisely :AH

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 May 2008 19:52 

wolfblade wrote:
Lol problem man, just glad you are spending the time wisely :AH

Lol, thanks. This project has been pulling at my mind so hard lately I had to begin it. I could not go to sleep or wake up in the AM without some part of the plot on my thoughts.

So far I have 208 pages done and am guesstimating about 400+ pages to finish book one. Right around halfway there now. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

"Gone now, dispersed by the brutal destruction of this one day, was the belief that the Darkman and his army of the dead were so superior as to be invincible. By attempting to destroy the morale of the Marines, the Darkman had restored it to full vigor. Dia De La Muerto had failed in its objectives."

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 May 2008 10:14 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

Well you and I had a similar conversation. You go where you must. It isn't like the Gunny saga doesn't have some good fillings in it, and of course, change is good for everyone. I myself have become a bit listless. I have ideas but no way of putting them down on paper. Since my R&R is over, I have to get back in the saddle and ride.

Good luck Thor!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 May 2008 10:36 

Carib wrote:
Well you and I had a similar conversation. You go where you must. It isn't like the Gunny saga doesn't have some good fillings in it, and of course, change is good for everyone. I myself have become a bit listless. I have ideas but no way of putting them down on paper. Since my R&R is over, I have to get back in the saddle and ride.

Good luck Thor!

After our recent conversation, I think you now have a project to. :w :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 May 2008 16:11 

Well, I finally finished A Test of Wills: The Time of Fire. It weighs in aorund 376 pages and 197,000 words. Now all I have to do is get it published! :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008 05:20 
Warrant Officer 1
Warrant Officer 1

That was pretty swift. And yes, always the struggle to get it published.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 May 2008 07:09 

Carib wrote:
That was pretty swift. And yes, always the struggle to get it published.

Considering I worked on it for at least 16 hours a day for nearly 5 weeks it was not really that fast. Cut that down to what most writers do a day, usually 2 or three hours and none on the weekends. So hour-wise, it was just about as long.

Just my brain was burning up and that was the only way to put out the fire. :bs

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2008 04:15 
Sergeant
Sergeant

hey guys. been gone a long time, but baby i'm back.

graduating from my technician course on september 4th. might get dux, cos my average is between 85-90%. but the best bit is the 20 grand payrise.

i'll most likely be getting posted to Williamtown, which is near Newcastle. Be working on F/A-18's, hopefully the two seat trainers, but nothing is official yet. fuckin' civvies are in charge of the manning, and they like fucking us around because it gives them a powertrip, i reckon.

getting a new car. the o' HMAS Road Rage (a.k.a. my old '92 nissan pulsar) is getting retired, and replaced with a brand spanking Holden SV6 Ute. its the same as the new pontiac G8, but with a 190KW V6 engine instead of the V8. Photo's will be posted as soon as i pick it up.

and some bad news, for me anyway... fallout 3 won't be getting released in australia. apparently all the chems are too much like real drugs and the violence is too violent.

anyway, have a good one, and i'll be back after september.

mad little aussie over and out.

Wave your arms and shout."

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Aug 2008 10:03 

Benno the Mad wrote:
hey guys. been gone a long time, but baby i'm back.

graduating from my technician course on september 4th. might get dux, cos my average is between 85-90%. but the best bit is the 20 grand payrise.

i'll most likely be getting posted to Williamtown, which is near Newcastle. Be working on F/A-18's, hopefully the two seat trainers, but nothing is official yet. fuckin' civvies are in charge of the manning, and they like fucking us around because it gives them a powertrip, i reckon.

getting a new car. the o' HMAS Road Rage (a.k.a. my old '92 nissan pulsar) is getting retired, and replaced with a brand spanking Holden SV6 Ute. its the same as the new pontiac G8, but with a 190KW V6 engine instead of the V8. Photo's will be posted as soon as i pick it up.

and some bad news, for me anyway... fallout 3 won't be getting released in australia. apparently all the chems are too much like real drugs and the violence is too violent.

anyway, have a good one, and i'll be back after september.

mad little aussie over and out.

Congrats bud! I look forward to your return. We missed our mad li'l Aussie. :w :bs

As for Fallot 3, no big miss, it's a FP RT shooter. Not like the other Fallouts what-so-ever. A lot of hardcore Fallout fans have begun calling it FINO, Fallout In Name Only, and that pretty much sums up the game. Think Oblivion with guns. :AM

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 03 Aug 2008 00:13 
Corporal
Corporal

Benno the Mad wrote:
Be working on F/A-18's, hopefully the two seat trainers, but nothing is official yet.

Ahhh Hornets... Future Welcomes to MY world :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2008 03:11 
Sergeant
Sergeant

picked up my ute yesterday. i cant really describe what i feel like without a strange mix of swearing and eloquency - fucking euphoric. maybe i need to consult a dictionary to increase my vocabulary. im in sydney waiting for a flight home, but my ute is at dads place, under cover and in the shed.

finished my last two theory exams last week, on explosive ordnance - got 100% for both. thinking of remustering to gunny (armament fitter. down here "gunny" is a job, not a rank) when i'm able to. depends on whats going down, i suppose, because that day is still a long way off.

i've gotten some more news about where i'll spend the first half of my career. I'm definately going to williamtown, but they definately havent told me what squadron im getting posted to yet. in a mad rush of hope, i might get posted to an AWAC squadron, but as they dont have any planes yet, i dont think that'll happen. Bit bummed i didnt get a chance to go to c-17's, because that has a 3 month type course in the states.

as for FO3 being oblivion with guns... well, i like oblivion, i like guns, i like post-apoc, and bethsoft have a pretty good reputation.

oh yeah, the fuckwad civvies in charge of my "military employment training" fucked up our course schedule, even though they've programmed exactly the same course 15 times a year for the last 5 years. my grad date has been pushed out to the 11th of september. not a big change, but its the fuckaround factor that pisses me off. means i wont see my new car for another week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2008 03:30 
Sergeant
Sergeant

hey.

got posted to 76sqn, based at RAAF Williamtown. We run BAE Hawk 127 LIF, which his a better version of your t-45 Goshawk.

a bit dissapointed, becuse i thought i was goin on hornets, so i reasearched them a lot. it was really easy, because Janes has pretty much an entire encyclopedia on teh hornet. on the hawk... about 2 paragraphs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 26 Sep 2008 10:32 

Benno the Mad wrote:
hey.

got posted to 76sqn, based at RAAF Williamtown. We run BAE Hawk 127 LIF, which his a better version of your t-45 Goshawk.

a bit dissapointed, becuse i thought i was goin on hornets, so i reasearched them a lot. it was really easy, because Janes has pretty much an entire encyclopedia on teh hornet. on the hawk... about 2 paragraphs.

Glad to hear ya got posted. Maybe one day you will be assigned a Hornet squadron. Maybe now you will have more time to stop by and say hi. :bs

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008 02:11 

These last two weeks have been hell for me. I am currently writing thiis post from a comp in Kinko's in Davenport Iowa. To make a long story short, I had to leave Florida early and lose a 700 dollar security deposit. I will try and respond to any reply to this post tomorrow night. When I get a cable connection I will be back online.

Cheers, Þórgrímr

Gunny's color #FF2400

Post subject:
PostPosted: 01 Oct 2008 09:37 
Corporal
Corporal

Benno the Mad wrote:
hey.

Take it from me... Hornets ain't all that :D

Dirty, nasty, attitudinal... man I love those birds!